From: GiJeet on
Hello, is it possible to have a List<whatever> as a property of a
class or must you use indexers? If so, please show me an example of
the syntax. Thanks.

From: Harlan Messinger on
GiJeet wrote:
> Hello, is it possible to have a List<whatever> as a property of a
> class or must you use indexers? If so, please show me an example of
> the syntax. Thanks.

It is possible to have a property, or any number of properties, of type
List<whatever> in a class.

public class Foo
{
public List<string> List1 { ... }
public List<FileInfo> List2 { ... }
}

Foo foo = new Foo();
string firstString = foo.List1[0];
FileInfo firstFile = foo.List2[0];

This has nothing directly to do with creating indexers on Foo. But you
can use a field of a list type as the implementation of an indexer.
From: GiJeet on
I was looking for properties using get/set. And how to assign the
list via the constructor?

Example:

//trying to create a list that's a property of a class holding IP
addresses of a computer
private List<string> lIPAddressList;
internal List<string> IPAddressList {
get { return lIPAddressList; }
set { lIPAddressList = value; }
}

//The constructor of the class
internal CustomException( ) {
this.sUserName = Environment.UserName;
this.sDomainName = Environment.UserDomainName;
this.sComputerName = Dns.GetHostName();

// what to assign the whole list to a property
//this.lIPAddress =
Dns.GetHostEntry(ComputerName).AddressList; //what to put here?

}

It's just a lit of strings. Could be an array or List<string> or
whatever, just need to assign to a collection.
From: Harlan Messinger on

From: Harlan Messinger on
GiJeet wrote:
> I was looking for properties using get/set. And how to assign the
> list via the constructor?
>
> Example:
>
> //trying to create a list that's a property of a class holding IP
> addresses of a computer
> private List<string> lIPAddressList;
> internal List<string> IPAddressList {
> get { return lIPAddressList; }
> set { lIPAddressList = value; }
> }
>

> //The constructor of the class
> internal CustomException( ) {
> this.sUserName = Environment.UserName;
> this.sDomainName = Environment.UserDomainName;
> this.sComputerName = Dns.GetHostName();
>
> // what to assign the whole list to a property
> //this.lIPAddress =
> Dns.GetHostEntry(ComputerName).AddressList; //what to put here?
>
> }

If AddressList is of type List<string> then this is fine.