From: Helmut Meukel on
"LondonLad" <LondonLad(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi
> I have about 100 plus folders, within those folders can be files from 2 to 15
> which I want to edit so I thought the best way was display the contents of
> each folder in a listbox select the file by clicking on it, amend and return
> it to a new folder.
> I can select and load the listbox without a problem, and then I can edit the
> data but i cannot seem to be able to put the data into a new folder.
> Can you help please.
>
> Ron

As others already told you: "insufficient data".
This said, I can just guess what's your problem.
Do you intend to save the changes in a new file in another
folder and want to remove the original file from the old folder?

Then you have at least two choices:
- save the changes to the existing file and then move it to
the new folder (see the description of the Name statement
for details)
or
- save the changed file in another folder and delete the old,
unchanged file (Kill statement)
If the new folder doesn't exist, you'll have to create it first
(Mkdir statement).

Helmut.

From: LondonLad on
Hi MikeD
Sorry, I do agree with what you and the others have said not enough
information I try to do this because I copy code created by other people and
I do not want to fall foul of copyright. On big tasks when I copy a large
amount I always take the name of the author and give credit in my project,
but on small tasks I copy the code by typing it to how I want it so I only
take the idea and I do not always know it's origin. Anyway I apologize to you
all and I will try again.
Nice to know you missed me, unfortunatly I have been unwell and in hospital
so I have not done any projects lately. Now have a pacemaker.

What am I trying to do.
This is my music collection, when I open with the explorer window in details
I can select the information I want to display. The problem is things like
Name,Artist etc have other information in that part of the string which I
want to edit out.
So I use API's Findfirst, Findnext to load a block into a Listbox I then use
the following code to split it up.

Private Sub Command2_Click()
Dim fields() As String
Dim i As Integer
' Split the string at the slash add to a ListBox
fields() = Split(sString, "\")

For i = 0 To UBound(fields)
List1.AddItem Trim$(fields(i))
Next

End Sub

I then use the next code to start to edit out the unwanted info.

Private Sub Command4_Click()
Dim xHold As String
' strip first 3 chars add to list box
xHold = Mid(sString, 3)
List1.AddItem Trim$(xHold)

End Sub
I need to write further code to complete the edit and rebuild the string and
save in a new folder. But before I write the other code I wanted to rebuild
the string and post it in a new folder but this is where I got stuck and need
help. I hope this explains things better.

Ron

From: Jeff Johnson on

> What am I trying to do.
> This is my music collection, when I open with the explorer window in
> details
> I can select the information I want to display. The problem is things
> like
> Name,Artist etc have other information in that part of the string which I
> want to edit out.

WHAT string?

> So I use API's Findfirst, Findnext to load a block into a Listbox I then
> use
> the following code to split it up.
>
> Private Sub Command2_Click()
> Dim fields() As String
> Dim i As Integer
> ' Split the string at the slash add to a ListBox
> fields() = Split(sString, "\")
>
> For i = 0 To UBound(fields)
> List1.AddItem Trim$(fields(i))
> Next
>
> End Sub
>
> I then use the next code to start to edit out the unwanted info.
>
> Private Sub Command4_Click()
> Dim xHold As String
> ' strip first 3 chars add to list box
> xHold = Mid(sString, 3)
> List1.AddItem Trim$(xHold)
>
> End Sub
> I need to write further code to complete the edit and rebuild the string
> and
> save in a new folder. But before I write the other code I wanted to
> rebuild
> the string and post it in a new folder but this is where I got stuck and
> need
> help. I hope this explains things better.

I still don't understand. You don't save strings to a folder, you save
FILES. What is this string you keep talking about?

P.S., hope you're feeling better. Avoid microwaves....

From: LondonLad on
Hi
In each folder there are files for each track of music when the folder opens
you can select what information displays,
Name,Size,Type,Artist,Album Title etc.
When I display a selection in the listbox I can see similar information
which is separated by a \ I thought this was a string of the file information
I get
C;\Folder Name\Artist\Name\Type etc. is this still a file?
This is what I am asking help for I split each part to a single line
C:\
Folder Name
Artist
Name
Type
If I build this back after edit to
C:\New Folder Name\Artist\Name\Type how do I put it into the new folder?
And if the Artist or anything is missing can I put back here?

Ron

From: Jeff Johnson on

> In each folder there are files for each track of music when the folder
> opens
> you can select what information displays,
> Name,Size,Type,Artist,Album Title etc.

Okay, by "folder" do you mean a folder on your file system? In other words,
a folder you see when you use Explorer or a My Computer window?

> When I display a selection in the listbox I can see similar information

What selection? Who is making the selection and how? How are you filling
this list box?

You have the program in front of you and you know what you are seeing. We
only know what you tell us with words. Maybe I'm a bit dense, but so far
your words aren't telling me enough.

> which is separated by a \ I thought this was a string of the file
> information

Who/what performs this backslash separation?

> I get
> C;\Folder Name\Artist\Name\Type etc. is this still a file?

Looks more like a folder path to me.

> This is what I am asking help for I split each part to a single line
> C:\
> Folder Name
> Artist
> Name
> Type
> If I build this back after edit to
> C:\New Folder Name\Artist\Name\Type how do I put it into the new folder?

Again, if I knew for a fact what "folder" means in this context I might be
able to help.

> And if the Artist or anything is missing can I put back here?

I can't begin to answer that part until I understand the other stuff. Let's
take it step-by-step.