From: Nobody on
"LondonLad" <LondonLad(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> In each folder there are files for each track of music when the folder
> opens
> you can select what information displays,
> Name,Size,Type,Artist,Album Title etc.
> When I display a selection in the listbox I can see similar information
> which is separated by a \ I thought this was a string of the file
> information
> I get
> C;\Folder Name\Artist\Name\Type etc. is this still a file?
> This is what I am asking help for I split each part to a single line
> C:\
> Folder Name
> Artist
> Name
> Type
> If I build this back after edit to
> C:\New Folder Name\Artist\Name\Type how do I put it into the new folder?
> And if the Artist or anything is missing can I put back here?

Are you trying to make the user select songs based on artist or type? If the
same song appear in more than one category, then you have a problem, because
you have to make duplicates of the file, and this wastes disk space.

The solution is to use some form of DB, with tables for songs and categories
and the path to the song file, so they can be retrieved in various ways.

From: Daryl Muellenberg on
It sounds like he is referring to the file details when talking about
selecting what information to display. In Windows Explorer you can right
click on a column heading and then select which details (artist, title,
genre, etc.) you would like to display. But I'm not sure how he is accessing
this information to put into a listbox and then modify it.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"LondonLad" <LondonLad(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi
> In each folder there are files for each track of music when the folder opens
> you can select what information displays,
> Name,Size,Type,Artist,Album Title etc.

That sounds like Windows' own Explorer, where you can select the
column titles by right clicking on a column header and chosing what
you want to see.

> When I display a selection in the listbox I can see similar information
> which is separated by a \ I thought this was a string of the file information

The listbox doesn't fill by itself (unless its a FileListBox). Somewhere
you have code that fills the listbox with items (using its AddItem method).

What does that code look like? That is where you will learn what is
being shown in the listbox....

In a generic sense, a program has input, and it does some modification
to produce some output. If you show us exactly what the input is, and
also exactly what the output should be, we all would be in a better position
to help with the modification part!

HTH
LFS

From: Nobody on
Also, rather than reinventing the wheel, check these free and open source
music library software in this review:

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-9999281-12.html

From: MikeD on

"Jeff Johnson" <i.get(a)enough.spam> wrote in message

> You have the program in front of you and you know what you are seeing. We
> only know what you tell us with words. Maybe I'm a bit dense, but so far
> your words aren't telling me enough.

I don't think it's you Jeff. I'm not making heads or tails from what he's
saying either.

--
Mike