From: Howard on
At some earlier time I had IIS running smoothly on my machine without any
issues. Subsequently various programmes have been added to the system
(including MS-RMS) which may have made changes to the Local Security policies.

Now I am getting the following error message:

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank
passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has
been enforced.

I have trawled through various forums and newsgroups. - to no avail.

I have checked that the IUSR_machinename user id is a valid account and that
the passwords are the same. I have uninstalled and reinstalled IIS a number
of times.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve, or research this error. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

From: Howard on
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick response. In the event viewer there are no recent
entries under security (that is the most recent is 12 months ago). In the
system log the event which continues to pop up is:

The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account
'HOWARDSTOSHIBA\Howard' due to the following error: Logon failure: user
account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon
hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced. The data is
the error code.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the
Microsoft Online Support site located at:

...Howard

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

I assume that "Howard" is your own account, and you are attempting to use
that account to authenticate to the website?

Does your account have a blank password?

Alternatively, in the local security policy, is your account denied certain
logon types (I don't know what type of AuthN - Basic, Digest, IWA, that you
are using)?

Cheers
Ken

"Howard" <Howard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Hi Ken,
:
: Thanks for the quick response. In the event viewer there are no recent
: entries under security (that is the most recent is 12 months ago). In the
: system log the event which continues to pop up is:
:
: The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account
: 'HOWARDSTOSHIBA\Howard' due to the following error: Logon failure: user
: account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed,
logon
: hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced. The data is
: the error code.
: For additional information specific to this message please visit the
: Microsoft Online Support site located at:
: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
:
: For more information, see Help and Support Center at
: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
:
: ..Howard
:
: "Ken Schaefer" wrote:
:
: > What do you see in the Windows Event Log (the security log)?
: >
: > Cheers
: > Ken
: >
: >
: > "Howard" <Howard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:B53094D3-A018-48E4-BDA9-942A9D9F70B0(a)microsoft.com...
: > : At some earlier time I had IIS running smoothly on my machine without
any
: > : issues. Subsequently various programmes have been added to the system
: > : (including MS-RMS) which may have made changes to the Local Security
: > policies.
: > :

From: Howard on
Hi Ken,

Originally the account had a blank password. I tried applying a password but
it had no effect on the error. I also tried the various authentication
methods, and, had anonymous, anonymous+basic and basic only.

What I did do just a moment ago was to remove the needt to enter a password
using Start...Run..."control userpasswords2" and then unchecked the box. This
has removed the error and I can now carry on with IIS and localhost. But, it
does not solve the puzzle.

The urgency of the problem has now reduced, but it makes the system much
less secure. I am still interested in finding out what the issue actually is.

Regards,
Howard