From: Puddin' Man on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:03:08 -0600, "peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote:

>http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469

"Geeks" may or may not be a good source. I got one of their "refurb" usb
kb/rodent packages last week, will return it in the next few days.
Shipment was incomplete and the rodent is muy mucho (permanently) dead,
kaput, and "pues muerto".

A search on "478 motherboard" on Ebay yields 1,817 results, some of which
look potentially viable. After I'd speced out a few popular boards, I'd
be inclined to query sellers until I found >= one who sounded like s/he
actually knew what they were selling ...

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Puddin' Man:

>"Geeks" may or may not be a good source. I got one of their "refurb" usb
>kb/rodent packages last week, will return it in the next few days.
>Shipment was incomplete and the rodent is muy mucho (permanently) dead,
>kaput, and "pues muerto".

I bought an Intel board from them before seeing your post.

I would agree that they may not be the best source.

To wit:

- The board came with a rudimentary CD, but no manual, no
pinouts, no diagram.... basically no nothing - and, to repeat,
the CD was no prize. I finally doped out the front panel
pinouts by trial and error without frying anything... but
geeze...

- First time I fired it up, a "Gateway" splash screen came up.
Oops.... maybe this board isn't exactly plain-vanilla Intel?

In Geeks' defense, I called their support line and:

- A human being answered

- Said human being spoke and understood standard English

- Said human being was not just reading from a script,
they actually thought the problem through and offered
a workaround.
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per (PeteCresswell):
>I called their support line and:

I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
drivers will not install.

My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....

Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
uncomfortable......
--
PeteCresswell
From: Rob on

"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in message
> Per (PeteCresswell):
>>I called their support line and:
>

> I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
> drivers will not install.
>
> My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....
>

> Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
> have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
> uncomfortable......

Intel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.
Can you identify which gateway model it is from?
HTH,
--
Rob

From: Paul on
Rob wrote:
> "(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in message
>> Per (PeteCresswell):
>>> I called their support line and:
>>
>> I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
>> drivers will not install.
>>
>> My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....
>>

>> Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
>> have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
>> uncomfortable......
>
> Intel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
> a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
> You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.
> Can you identify which gateway model it is from?
> HTH,

If I look at this one, for example, it has a Gateway link for
the drivers.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=D865GLCLK-PB&cat=MBB

The Gateway link mentions several flavors of "Midway" motherboard. It
could be an OEM used in a Gateway system.

http://www.support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=2520852

Paul