From: (PeteCresswell) on
I'd like to put together an XP box for somebody to use mainly for
just email, web browsing, and Skype.

I've got an old ATX case/power supply.

Northbridge chip in said case's P4P800-E went up in smoke some
years back. Bought a used P4P800-E from some guy in China, but I
wasn't able to get it off the ground.

Given the CPU and memory are OK, can somebody recommend a
currently-available board that would use the same CPU/memory?
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per (PeteCresswell):
>Northbridge chip in said case's P4P800-E went up in smoke

SHB "Southbridge chip..."
--
PeteCresswell
From: peter on
http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or
disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting
complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)

Per (PeteCresswell):

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per peter:
>http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469
>
>peter

Thanks.

From context I gather:

1) Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4...
i.e. they take the same CPU.

2) They can all use the same kind of memory.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Paul on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per peter:
>> http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469
>>
>> peter
>

> Thanks.
>
> From context I gather:
>
> 1) Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4...
> i.e. they take the same CPU.
>
> 2) They can all use the same kind of memory.

2) You check what it says in the advert, for memory
type. Boards could be DDR or DDR2, depending on
vintage. The chipset plays a part in that.

The thing is, there is precious little difference
between S478 and LGA775. LGA775 has more connections
for core power and core ground, based on Intel's
projections about where current flow was going for
processors. They were using the leaky Prescott generation,
as a prediction of future requirements. The reason
I mention that, is to suggest that chipsets used
with LGA775 socket, could just as easily be used
with S478.

So theoretically, you might be able to arrange to use
any Netburst chipset, to run an S478 socket. For example,
you might be able to grab an X48 with DDR3 and connect
it to a S478 processor. But no motherboard manufacturer
is going to consider that as a business case. They wouldn't
sell enough boards to pay for the design engineer's time.

In the page that Peter provided, the Biostar 945GC-M4
is an example. The 945 came after the last group of
S478 chipsets (865, 875) and the description says
that board uses DDR2 memory. If your current memory
in hand is DDR type, you'd need to buy new memory.

Paul