From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Rob:
>ntel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
>a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
>You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.

Good catch.

It was something about ADI 1981B vs 1985.....

The support guy at Geeks flipped me a link to the correct driver
install and said install worked a-ok the first time.

Going back to my criticism of Geeks, I would point out that,
except for hold time, my experience with their support has been
refreshingly excellent.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Puddin' Man on
Glad you didn't get burned by Geeks.

I had spotted a Logitech kb/mouse "refurb" on

slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2098508&page=1 thru page=6

which was billed by Buy.com as a same-as-original package (CD, manual,
batteries, 5 Year Warranty , etc). You can check the thread but I doubt anyone
got a CD, etc. The invoice said "all sales final", 90 day warranty, etc. Many
shipped devices (rodents etc) were non-functional.

There was truly all manner of difference between what they advertised and
what they shipped. All I needed to cross Geeks off my "OK Vendors" list.

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Puddin' Man:
>There was truly all manner of difference between what they advertised and
>what they shipped. All I needed to cross

Sounds like their heart's in the right place but they need to vet
their products more thoroughly.
--
PeteCresswell