From: Hank Nussbacher on
I am using Eudora 5.1 (I know it is old), and when reading email from my POP
server, Eudora will sometimes enter an endless loop of trying to reread the
same message again and again. After I stop Eudora, I might find 1000s of
copies of the exact same email listed in the Eudora folder which I then
delete. I get messages about "damaged table of contents" so I rebuild the
mailboxes.

Can anyone point me at what config or parameter (I assume in the eudora.ini
file) that has gotten hosed that I need to rebuild so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
Hank
From: Han on
hank(a)interall.co.il (Hank Nussbacher) wrote in

> I am using Eudora 5.1 (I know it is old), and when reading email from
> my POP server, Eudora will sometimes enter an endless loop of trying
> to reread the same message again and again. After I stop Eudora, I
> might find 1000s of copies of the exact same email listed in the
> Eudora folder which I then delete. I get messages about "damaged
> table of contents" so I rebuild the mailboxes.
>
> Can anyone point me at what config or parameter (I assume in the
> eudora.ini file) that has gotten hosed that I need to rebuild so it
> doesn't happen again.
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

How many messages in your inbox, outbox, trash?
Eudora loads everything in this boxes in memory upon startup, enhancing
the chance of toc corruption. I try to keep the messages in each to 1
screen or less. Transfer to inread, outsent, whatever you choose, to
keep memory requirements lower

ALSO:
Do you compact your mailboxes? What are the 4 numbers in the lower left
corner of the message summary screen? Right-clicking on this area gives
an explanation. Left-clicking compacts the box. There also is a setting
somewhere to compact all mailboxes when you close Eudora.

Explanation: When you delete a message in Eudora, all that happens is
that the toc marks it as deleted, so Eudora doesn't display the messae
anymore. BUT, the message is still in the mbx file! That is a waste of
space (unless you'd want to resurrect the message), and a waste of memory
when the mbx is loaded into memory. I recommend to set compaction to
occur at the close of Eudora, or to conscientiously eft cick the message
size info box.

I believe that all this is present in really old Eudora versions, but am
not sure. Why not upgrade to 7.1.0.9? It's free, even with the enhanced
search function, if you scour the archives for registration codes (that's
legal).

HTH! Let us know ...

--
Best regards
Han
From: Hank Nussbacher on
In article <Xns9DCA49F892A91ikkezelf(a)207.246.207.21>, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:

>How many messages in your inbox, outbox, trash?
56, 87, 0

I clean up alot and delete many old emails and compact mailboxes every day.
My largest mailbox doesn't have more than 1000 messages.

The problem comes about after all the emails are loaded and it starts running
thru the filters to assign the emails to various mailboxes. I had not added
any new filter but as a test I have now removed a number of older filters to
see if that will help.

Thanks,
Hank