From: Roger on
Hi,
I have xp pro sp2 and for reasons unknown I cannot use system info link.
When I access it I have box open with words Cant Collect information, and
more stating Cannot access Windows Management instrumentation software,
Windows Management files may be moved or missing ! I have run Disc Check
fully and defrag without any change. My PC appears to operate as normal,
but can you assist with problem please.

Roger
------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------

From: John John - MVP on
Roger wrote:
> Hi,
> I have xp pro sp2 and for reasons unknown I cannot use system info link.
> When I access it I have box open with words Cant Collect information, and
> more stating Cannot access Windows Management instrumentation software,
> Windows Management files may be moved or missing ! I have run Disc Check
> fully and defrag without any change. My PC appears to operate as normal,
> but can you assist with problem please.

Start here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209
Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message

John
From: Roger on

"John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Roger wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have xp pro sp2 and for reasons unknown I cannot use system info link.
>> When I access it I have box open with words Cant Collect information,
>> and more stating Cannot access Windows Management instrumentation
>> software, Windows Management files may be moved or missing ! I have run
>> Disc Check fully and defrag without any change. My PC appears to operate
>> as normal, but can you assist with problem please.
>
> Start here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209
> Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message
>
> John

The above was of no use, on event viewer showing error since end of May
saying it could be disc space , I have loads or Memory.
Also repository files may be corrupted and should be deleted and re-boot !

Roger
=============================
==================================

From: John John - MVP on
Roger wrote:
> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> Roger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have xp pro sp2 and for reasons unknown I cannot use system info link.
>>> When I access it I have box open with words Cant Collect information,
>>> and more stating Cannot access Windows Management instrumentation
>>> software, Windows Management files may be moved or missing ! I have run
>>> Disc Check fully and defrag without any change. My PC appears to operate
>>> as normal, but can you assist with problem please.
>> Start here:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209
>> Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message
>>
>> John
>
> The above was of no use, on event viewer showing error since end of May
> saying it could be disc space , I have loads or Memory.
> Also repository files may be corrupted and should be deleted and re-boot !

So the

* Event Log
* Windows Management Instrumentation
* Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

services are set to Automatic start and all of them are running?

Where do you get the message telling you to delete the repository files?

To delete the WMI repository:

1- Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.
2- Delete the \WINDOWS\system32\wbem directory.
3- Restart the WMI service.

John
From: Roger on

> Roger wrote:
>> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>> Start here:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323209
>>> Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> The above was of no use, on event viewer showing error since end of May
>> saying it could be disc space , I have loads or Memory.
>> Also repository files may be corrupted and should be deleted and re-boot
>> !
>
> So the
>
> * Event Log
> * Windows Management Instrumentation
> * Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
>
> services are set to Automatic start and all of them are running?
>
> Where do you get the message telling you to delete the repository files?
>
> To delete the WMI repository:
>
> 1- Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.
> 2- Delete the \WINDOWS\system32\wbem directory.
> 3- Restart the WMI service.
>
> John

All above running on Auto, when clicking on one of the error's in event log
it gave that advice about repository files.

I am about to go through procedure now to delete, will report back on
progress.
Roger