Prev: CD 2???
Next: MSCTF.dll
From: John John - MVP on
pip22 wrote:
> ... Having to download headers is a pain, followed by downloading the
> posts you want to read, especially on slow, rural connections.
>
> Web-based forums are much easier to access and navigate, and far less
> littered with cr*p whereas NNTP is awash with it.

Now that is quite an oxymoronic statement! Who's leg are you trying to
pull telling us that web forums are faster than text based newsgroups?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "LVTravel" <none(a)nothere.com>

| When MS pulls the plug you will no longer be able to post to these newgroups
| that are "microsoft.public......." Anything already propagated to another
| news server will live on. Those on techarena, newegg, etc. will not longer
| have access to the free hard drive space on MS's servers.

That all depends. It certainly won't be propogating from msnews.microsoft.com but might
still be usable from various NSPs.

That is unless a control message is sent to remove the groups from Usenet and all peers
adhere to that.

--
Dave

From: Bob I on

John John - MVP wrote:

> pip22 wrote:
>
>> ... Having to download headers is a pain, followed by downloading the
>> posts you want to read, especially on slow, rural connections.
>>
>> Web-based forums are much easier to access and navigate, and far less
>> littered with cr*p whereas NNTP is awash with it.
>

> Now that is quite an oxymoronic statement! Who's leg are you trying to
> pull telling us that web forums are faster than text based newsgroups?

I suppose it is for those who can't actually navigate newsgroups. ;-)

From: Tim Slattery on
mister_friendly(a)the-newzgroups.com wrote:

>I'm curious. How is MS going to remove these newsgroups? The way I
>was told, years ago, is that newsgroups CAN NOT be removed.

You're right. MS can turn off its servers, but there are zillions of
Usenet servers all over the world that carry the microsoft.public.*
hierarchy. They will continue to exist.

> Once they're created, they're there forever.

Just about. If you read news.newgroups, you see postings proposing new
groups as well as questions about groups that are apparently no longer
used. The Big8 Management Board will remove groups when they
determined that they are no longer used.

But all that means is that they request sysops all over the world to
delete those groups from their systems. They can't force anything.

Then there's the alt.* hierarchy, which is anarchic. By which I mean
that anybody (who has access to an NNTP server, anyway) can create a
group. Whether other sysops pick it up is, of course, up to them. Just
as there's no "process" for creating a new alt.* group, there's no way
to get rid of one either. It's a free-for-all. Still, there are many
very good groups there. There's also trash.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov
From: milt on
On 5/6/2010 7:05 AM, Bob I wrote:

> John John - MVP wrote:
>
>> pip22 wrote:
>>
>>> ... Having to download headers is a pain, followed by downloading the
>>> posts you want to read, especially on slow, rural connections.
>>>
>>> Web-based forums are much easier to access and navigate, and far less
>>> littered with cr*p whereas NNTP is awash with it.
>>

>> Now that is quite an oxymoronic statement! Who's leg are you trying to
>> pull telling us that web forums are faster than text based newsgroups?
>
> I suppose it is for those who can't actually navigate newsgroups. ;-)

Yeah, you can't just "click here" to get newsgroups. It actually takes
some thought and effort to do so. However, its hilarious to infer
graphics-laden message boards are faster than pure-text. As for it being
archaic. So is SMTP, does that mean we should get rid of that as well?
If its not broke, don't fix it! Yeah, newsgroups have their issues but
there are ways to get around those as well.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: CD 2???
Next: MSCTF.dll