From: philips on
I'm installing MOSS 2007 Beta 2 on a Windows 2003 VPC (non-DC) and am getting
the error (as shown in the log) listed below. The VPC has all the
requirements (IIS, ASP.NET 2.0, WorkFlow, etc....). Looks to me like it has
to do with MSXML so I installed MSXML 6.0 but still get this error.

Thanks!

Here's the error:

Executing command path: 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\SERVER12\Server Setup Controller\wrapinst.exe', args: 'timeout=2950
MsiPath=msxml\msxml6.msi'
Error: Command: 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\SERVER12\Server Setup Controller\wrapinst.exe' failed with error code:
1639. Type: CommandFailed.
NetUI::BaseValue::Release
RunSetup
RunSetup
00000000:3003fe6b
00000000:3004001a
00000000:3004e790
Catalyst execution finished: 08/23/2006 14:36:40. Return code: 0.
Exception caught: CommandFailed.
PERF: TickCount=1385922 Name=RunSetup Description=End function
From: Engelbert on
It's not so far been associated with this message (as far as I can remember)
but there seems to be a set of problems when installing in a VM because of
lack of memory (which is obviously something that more often occurs there) -
where however the message received doesn't seem to have anything to do with
lack of memory.

Try allocating 1GB to this VM and re-running.

But also monitor this thread for a more specific suggestion.

Engelbert

From: philips on
VM has 1.4 GB.

From: philips on
Got it. Problem was I needed to use the VM's local Administrator account. I
was using a domain account (from the VM dc), but that account had admin
rights on the sharepoint box so I don't know why it didn't work... anyway,
all's good now.

From: philips on
Actually that might not have been the problem.... just remembered that I also
switched from using the Basic install option to Advanced-->single
server/msde.

So I'm not sure if the problem was with the account or the Basic install
option. But since the account had admin rights on the box my hunch is that
there's something wrong with the Basic install option.