From: jkluthe on
When checking out documents in a document library I get the following
error:Value does not fall within the expected range.

The fix for now is to click on the "Go Back to Site" link that is displayed
on the page and then go back to the document library and then it lets me
check the document out like normal.

Very strange....seems like I need a micorosft hotfix for this......
From: Sébastien on
The same error happened in my server due to a feature activation. This
feature contained ContentType that was badly defined... so a quite differente
error than yours.

This link should help you :
http://www.sharepointblogs.com/connor/archive/2006/03/07/5407.aspx