From: Steve B on
I have an old heavy huge brand name stereo amplifier and some BIG speakers.
It is the type from the sixties and seventies used to play vinyl records.

I want to hook it up to either a computer or MP3 player and use it for a
juke box, playing randomly.

What type of interface do I need to go from the player to RCA? I think it
probably will be proprietary to the player.

How do I use the player as a source, then run it through the amp to boost
the signal to the speakers?

Pardon me if this is a simple question. I've never owned an MP3 player, but
now that I'm researching one, they are fascinating.

Are there big differences in them? I know they are all over the map price
wise. I don't need anything terribly robust, as I won't be jogging or
motorcycle riding with it.

And lastly, will it play only MP3 type files, or will it play others as
downloaded from Limewire? Or is there a way to convert the files that are
not MP3 to MP3?

TIA

Steve

From: Alex Clayton on
"Steve B" <deserttraver(a)fishymail.net> wrote in message
> I have an old heavy huge brand name stereo amplifier and some BIG
> speakers. It is the type from the sixties and seventies used to play vinyl
> records.
>
> I want to hook it up to either a computer or MP3 player and use it for a
> juke box, playing randomly.
>
> What type of interface do I need to go from the player to RCA? I think it
> probably will be proprietary to the player.
>
> How do I use the player as a source, then run it through the amp to boost
> the signal to the speakers?
>
> Pardon me if this is a simple question. I've never owned an MP3 player,
> but now that I'm researching one, they are fascinating.
>
> Are there big differences in them? I know they are all over the map price
> wise. I don't need anything terribly robust, as I won't be jogging or
> motorcycle riding with it.
>
> And lastly, will it play only MP3 type files, or will it play others as
> downloaded from Limewire? Or is there a way to convert the files that are
> not MP3 to MP3?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve

<http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=2706>

This should work. Plug it into the player and the RCA jacks into the amp.
As to the player, I have had several. They all do the same thing. The only
difference is in how much storage, the size, and if they have an EQ. This is
what makes the price difference. I have always found they all sound great,
if you use good headphones. Since you will be playing through a stereo you
should not need to worry about that. All the ones I have had would work with
either MP3 or WMA files. I have seen converters on the net both freeware and
pay, but never tried one.
--
I think drug tests are great. Since I have to pass them to earn money to
pay taxes, Everyone on or applying for welfare should have to pass them to

From: ChrisCoaster on
On Mar 4, 12:00 am, "Steve B" <deserttra...(a)fishymail.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the big gob of information.  I have filed your post, and will
> consume it a chunk at a time.
>
> I want a player that will be stationary in my shop.  Just the player, the
> amp, and two speakers.  I went to Radio Shack and looked at iPods and
> Shuffles.  They had Sensa connectors, and Monster at a Monster price.  The
> 1/8" to RCA Sense connectors were $15 IIRC.  They had offbrands for less.
> They also had a power converter.  If I use it stationary, will a power
> transformer suffice instead of the battery?  And if so, should I pull it off
> the charger occasionally, or does it have a "float" feature that will not
> allow it to overcharge itself?
>
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

__________________________________
That's my Italian side - we love to talk! :)

So it's going to be a shop sound system. Hmm. I don't know enough
about running the mp3player constantly off the wall outlet. I know it
has been advised against as far as cell phones are concerned: (CAUTION
I HOPE YOU HAVE NOT EATEN RECENTLY!!!) http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cell-phone-charging.html
But this may be an "urban legend". LOL

Best to check with the player's mfgr about that. As far as running
it through an amp or stereo, I leave my player's volume at about 3/4 -
NEVER maxxed, and use little or no EQ/tone control. I control volume
at the amp.

-CC

From: James D. Andrews on

"Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Steve B wrote:
>> "Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

SNIP SNIP SNIP SNIP SNIP

You'll need a converter jack to go from RCA plug to mini. Connections depend
on your individual system.

As for changing formats, I live by a freeware program called Format Factory.
This program converts formats for numerous audio, video, photo, icon, ROM
device and many others. It has ipod and iphone support and has a DVD
Ripper.

This puppy makes it so you don't need one program for this, another for
that, etc.

You can download it free from www.pcfreetime.com

No, I don't work for them. I just love the program.

Pages: 1
Prev: RAM question
Next: RAM question/redux