From: Steve B on
New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question

I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
speed, 448 mb DDR RAM

I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
be phased out March 13.

I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I have
room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high density
DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
about them.

I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB DDR
cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
for good RAM hardware?

Thanks in advance

Steve

From: Alex Clayton on
"Steve B" <deserttraver(a)fishymail.net> wrote in message
> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
>
> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
>
> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
> be phased out March 13.
>
> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I
> have room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high
> density DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM
> slots? Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google
> posts about them.
>
> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB
> DDR cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be
> trusted for good RAM hardware?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

The easy way to find the right module is go to places like Kingston and look
for the model you have. It will show you exactly which one it uses.
If you want to use 2, they will of course need to be the same type and
clock speed.
--
The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Will Rogers

From: JD on
On 03/03/2010 10:49 PM, Steve B wrote:
> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
>
> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
>
> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
> be phased out March 13.
>
> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I have
> room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high density
> DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
> Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
> about them.
>
> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB DDR
> cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
> for good RAM hardware?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Hi Steve

The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
minimum, mores always better.

The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
(400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your motherboard.

JD
From: Steve B on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 03/03/2010 10:49 PM, Steve B wrote:
>> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
>>
>> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
>> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
>>
>> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones
>> would
>> be phased out March 13.
>>
>> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I
>> have
>> room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high
>> density
>> DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
>> Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
>> about them.
>>
>> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB
>> DDR
>> cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
>> for good RAM hardware?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Hi Steve
>
> The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
> opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
> minimum, mores always better.
>
> The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
> (400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your motherboard.
>
> JD

I shall take out the old 512 mb RAM chip and take it with me to Fry's, in a
static bag, no less. I have found that computer stores and auto parts
stores, it's a good idea to take the old part with you and make only one
trip. I was just wondering if the high density was any different, and
having read there were some conflicts, wondering should I even mess with it
or just get two plain vanilla 1 GB sticks.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

From: JD on
On 04/03/2010 12:21 AM, Steve B wrote:
> "JD"<No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 03/03/2010 10:49 PM, Steve B wrote:
>>> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
>>>
>>> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
>>> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
>>>
>>> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones
>>> would
>>> be phased out March 13.
>>>
>>> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I
>>> have
>>> room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high
>>> density
>>> DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
>>> Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
>>> about them.
>>>
>>> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB
>>> DDR
>>> cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
>>> for good RAM hardware?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Hi Steve
>>
>> The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
>> opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
>> minimum, mores always better.
>>
>> The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
>> (400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your motherboard.
>>
>> JD
>
> I shall take out the old 512 mb RAM chip and take it with me to Fry's, in a
> static bag, no less. I have found that computer stores and auto parts
> stores, it's a good idea to take the old part with you and make only one
> trip. I was just wondering if the high density was any different, and
> having read there were some conflicts, wondering should I even mess with it
> or just get two plain vanilla 1 GB sticks.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Steve

There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?

for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25

This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings
and part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend
a replacment type for you.

As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per
chip on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb
module)

JD