From: JD on
On 04/03/2010 12:54 AM, JD wrote:
> On 04/03/2010 12:21 AM, Steve B wrote:
>> "JD"<No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi Steve
>>>
>>> The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
>>> opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
>>> minimum, mores always better.
>>>
>>> The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
>>> (400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your
>>> motherboard.
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> I shall take out the old 512 mb RAM chip and take it with me to Fry's,
>> in a
>> static bag, no less. I have found that computer stores and auto parts
>> stores, it's a good idea to take the old part with you and make only one
>> trip. I was just wondering if the high density was any different, and
>> having read there were some conflicts, wondering should I even mess
>> with it
>> or just get two plain vanilla 1 GB sticks.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
>
> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
>
> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings
> and part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend
> a replacment type for you.
>
> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per
> chip on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb
> module)
>
> JD

Oh I should add that High Density configurations are non standard and
will not work in some motherboards.

JD
From: Paul on
Steve B wrote:
> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
>
> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
>
> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
> be phased out March 13.
>
> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I have
> room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high density
> DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
> Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
> about them.
>
> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB DDR
> cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
> for good RAM hardware?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

"High density" DDR 1GB modules are typically offered for sale on Ebay.
You will not find them for sale at reputable retailers.

Intel does not approve of that particular memory format. High density
modules like that consist of (16) 128Mx4 chips. (That is a single bank
of memory, spread over both sides of the module.) The Ebay advertisement
usually includes a list of "compatible" chipsets to use them. No
Intel chipsets are typically included in the list.

If you later go to resell such "high density" modules, it is your
responsibility to indicate the modules have limited compatibility.
So buying such modules, only contributes to a compatibility
nightmare down the road.

Instead, buy a "regular" density module, with (16) 64Mx8 chips.

If I were to buy high density modules for my Nforce2 based S462
motherboard with AthlonXP 3200+, the end result would be that
only half the memory would be detected. Some chipsets, that
claim to support 1GB modules, may do so only for the
(16) 64Mx8 configuration. When confronted with the 128Mx4 chip,
they may be missing the ability to address the second half of
each chip.

Chances are, when you go to Fry's, the products offered will be
the "regular" configuration.

You can also go to sites like Crucial.com or Kingston.com and
search for compatible memory there.

A Kingston product datasheet, shows you the details of their
construction. Not all manufacturers are so generous with the
details. This is a "regular" 1GB DIMM, so you can see it
is using 64Mx8 chips.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X64C25_1G.pdf

"The components on this module include sixteen 64M x 8-bit"

HTH,
Paul
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Steve B" <deserttraver(a)fishymail.net> wrote in message
> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
>
> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
>
> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
> be phased out March 13.
>
> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I
> have room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high
> density DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM
> slots? Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google
> posts about them.
>
> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB
> DDR cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be
> trusted for good RAM hardware?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

You have to get the RAM that matches the clock speed and architecture of
your motherboard. If you have DDR 2700, then you have to get more DDR 2700.
If you have DDR2, then you need more DDR2. If you have DDR, you can't use
DDR2.

When you get to Frys, the guy in the computer components department -- not
the computer systems department -- can look up your computer by make &
model, and provide you the proper RAM for your system.

Frys usually is competitive with eBay, and they'll help you get the right
stuff. Since you plan on a trip to Frys, just get your RAM there and be done
with it. If you were making a special trip to Frys, then maybe eBay would be
the better option, but since you are going anyhow, just get your RAM from
Frys.

From: Steve B on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote

> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
>
> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
>
> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings and
> part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
> replacment type for you.
>
> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
>
> JD

Info on RAM module sticker:

MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001

MADE IN SINGAPORE

512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3

Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with a
$35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.

Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?

Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

From: Paul on
Steve B wrote:
> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote
>
>> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
>>
>> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
>>
>> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings and
>> part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
>> replacment type for you.
>>
>> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
>> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
>>
>> JD
>
> Info on RAM module sticker:
>
> MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001
>
> MADE IN SINGAPORE
>
> 512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3
>
> Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with a
> $35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.
>
> Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
> mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
> think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?
>
> Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Steve

That is a Micron module part number. -40B is DDR400 CAS Latency 3.

MT16VDDT6464AG

http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DD16C64_128_256x64A.pdf

*******

It is better to know something about the motherboard, just in case it is
one of the special cases.

Otherwise, if you just want to "buy a stick and say a prayer", there are
plenty on Newegg. Some have better ratings than others.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052107965%201052308477&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

This one is $56 for a 2x1GB kit. (Matched, may make them easier to sell later.)
One reviewer says it is low density RAM, using x8 chips.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161161

The RAM with the best rating is $65. This is CAS 2.5 and PC3200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

Both of those meet your 2 x $40 = $80 price target.

This one is a CAS2 (low latency) RAM, the kind we used to pay
extra for. Right now it is $67 for 2x1GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231032

Those are PC3200 184 pin DIMMs, and presumably are all low density.
I've only caught one review on Newegg, where a reviewer noted that
a product Newegg was selling, was actually high density. I only wish
I'd kept a bookmark for that product, as an example.

Paul