From: JD on
On 04/03/2010 5:34 AM, Steve B wrote:
> "JD"<No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote
>

>> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
>>
>> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
>>
>> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings and
>> part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
>> replacment type for you.
>>
>> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
>> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
>>
>> JD
>
> Info on RAM module sticker:
>
> MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001
>
> MADE IN SINGAPORE
>
> 512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3
>
> Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with a
> $35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.
>
> Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
> mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
> think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?
>
> Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Steve

Hi again Steve

The type of ram you are looking to buy is PC3200 DDR 1Gb modules, a good
brand like Corsair, Kingston, Crucial should be fine in your board.
as for buying on places like ebay, it can be a bit hit and miss
however if you buy from a good seller with a good rating you shouldn't
have to much to worry about, some even offer refunds if your not happy,
enthusiasts upgrade there machines all the time so they often list there
old parts to recover some of there money, I for one have a huge pile off
stuff I should get listed on there at some point, but I keep telling
myself it will come in handy.

JD
From: Alex Clayton on
"Steve B" <deserttraver(a)fishymail.net> wrote in message

> Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Steve

Have you tried looking on the internet?
Amazon has what you need for $60.00 - $80.00 for 2, 1 Gig sticks, or 1 Gig
sticks for as low as $30.00 each. This is with free shipping.
I would avoid buying this from Ebay. You may save a few bucks, but you may
run into a real hassle. If you can find some used ones for half what they go
for new, maybe risk it. If you wish to buy from Ebay make sure you pay with
a credit card, not a debit card. At least then if you get screwed, you can
get all your money back.
--
I think drug tests are great. Since I have to pass them to earn money to
pay taxes, Everyone on or applying for welfare should have to pass them to

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Steve B" <deserttraver(a)fishymail.net> wrote in message

> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote
>

>> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
>>
>> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
>>
>> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings
>> and part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
>> replacment type for you.
>>
>> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
>> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
>>
>> JD
>
> Info on RAM module sticker:
>
> MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001
>
> MADE IN SINGAPORE
>
> 512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3
>
> Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with
> a $35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.
>
> Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
> mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
> think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?
>
> Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Steve

Yes, you are reading that right. PC3200 runs at 400mHz, and is referred to
as DDR1, or just DDR. Frys has that spec in two 1G sticks for $75-ish,
sometimes less at the register, and sometimes with a mail-in rebate. I
bought 4G of DDR2 (which won't fit your machine but illustrates the point)
for $50, and it had a $25 mail-in rebate, making the end price of $25.
Pretty good deal. I recently bought rwo 1G sticks of the RAM you need for
under $50.

From: Steve B on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote

I for one have a huge pile off
> stuff I should get listed on there at some point, but I keep telling
> myself it will come in handy.
>
> JD

Whenever I get rid of ANYTHING, I will need it within a week.

Guaranteed!

Steve

From: Alex Clayton on

> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote
>
> I for one have a huge pile off
>> stuff I should get listed on there at some point, but I keep telling
>> myself it will come in handy.
>>
>> JD
>
> Whenever I get rid of ANYTHING, I will need it within a week.
>
> Guaranteed!
>
> Steve

LOL, there is an old line that goes something like Junk is defined as
something you need 2 days after you tossed it out.
--
How's all that "hope and change" working out for you so far?