From: JimT on

I'm trying to add a project that includes 12 tasks that are not
recurring, or at lest don't recur regularly, but will continue for one
year. These all involve only a couple of days per month, or 8-36 days
per year, but I want the project to show we have a full year to complete
them.

These are all independent tasks. Thanks for any ideas!

--
JimT
JimT's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/225759.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: John on
In article <JimT.4boqpb(a)DoNotSpam.com>,
JimT <JimT.4boqpb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to add a project that includes 12 tasks that are not
> recurring, or at lest don't recur regularly, but will continue for one
> year. These all involve only a couple of days per month, or 8-36 days
> per year, but I want the project to show we have a full year to complete
> them.
>
> These are all independent tasks. Thanks for any ideas!

JimT,
It's not clear from your post whether there are 12 tasks each with a
month in which to complete them (i.e. duration time) or there are simply
12 tasks each of which can be completed anytime during a year's time.
Either way you should set up the task type as Fixed Duration with the
Duration field showing 2088 hours, 52.2 weeks or 13.05 months. These
values assume a 2010 calendar with normal 8 hour work days, 5 days a
week with no holidays.

You should be aware that this newsgroup is destined to be shut down next
week on June 1st. All future questions should be posted to,
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads.

John
Project MVP
From: sjhouse.remove on
A task is action that produces a single deliverable, not just the name
of an activity. Is that what each of these tasks do or are they
really series of separate tasks? For example, let's say your
department will be sending out a short newsletter once a month for the
next year and you're tasked with editing it, a job that will take 2
days per month. That's not as single task "edit newletter" lasting a
year requiring a couple of days attention each month but really it's a
series of 12 separate and distinct tasks - "edit January newletter,"
"edit February newsletter," "edit March newsletter" and so on and the
project file should list them as such. "Edit Newletters" would become
a summary task with the individual months shown as 12 2-day duration
tasks indented under it. You could enter such manually with SNET
constraints to push each subtask into its proper month or you could
use arecurring task to automatically schedule this sort of thing.

If the tasks you ask about in your post are truly producing just a
single deliverable each, why are you setting them to a years duration?
A task that will require me to put in 2 hours of work and is due the
end of June is not a 1 month duration task, it is a 2 hour duration
task with a deadline date of July 1st. If your task requires, say,
24 days of work to complete and could start Monday, even though it's
not due for a year, why put it off? Why not just do it all at once,
put the deliverable it produces on the shelf until it's needed, and
move on to something else? If there's a reason you CAN'T do it like
that, if it truly must be be split up into 2 days per month segments
extending for the next year, I'd be very suspicious that what you're
describing as a single task is not really multiple tasks as discussed
above and you really should revisit your task breakdown and make it
more detailed.

Steve House