From: m3lyssa on
I'm taking a PM class and our instructor had us manually create a network
diagram so that we could learn how the forward pass and backward pass are
calculated. He also said that the network diagram in project can be
configured to show the calculations as well. For example... 0 10 Days
Duration 10 instead of dates. I have figured out how to reflect this in
diagram box but cannot get it to add the ten days to the duration on the
following box. I created a custom number field with a formula to get it to
show what is in the example based on my tasks. Any one know how to get the
print out to show as it would if it were manually calculated? Thanks!
From: JulieS on
Hello m3lyssa,

If I understand you correctly, you've calculated the desired
value and now want to format the Network nodes (box) to include
the value?

Assuming you're using Project 2003 or 2007, display the Network
Diagram view and choose Format > Box Styles. Click the More
Templates button and in the Data Templates, dialog, select an
existing template and copy it. Give the new template a name in
the Data Definition dialog window. Towards the bottom of the
Data Definition dialog window in the "Choose Cells" section you
can specify which fields to place in which area.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: m3lyssa on
Thank you, Julie. The formula that I have converts the start and finish
dates to numbers. I can't figure out how to get each box to take the finish
date from box 'A' and add the duration from box 'B' to get the cumulative
figures. My boxes are currently configured like this...

0 Duration 10 10 0 Duration 5 5 0 Duration 2
0 10 0 5 0
2

I would like them to look like this...

0 Duration 10 10 11 Duration 5 16 17 Duration 2 19
0 10 11 16 17
19

I am trying to figure out if it is a formula that would do is or if it is
code I need to enter into VBE? If it is a formula I would assume I would
have to use the rollup feature...

Thanks for your time and help.

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
Use the Customize Fields tool to define four custom number fields ES, LS,
EF, and LF.

ES = ProjectDateDiff([ProjectStart],[EarlyStart])/[MinutesPerDay]
EF = ProjectDateDiff([ProjectStart],[EarlyFinish])/[MinutesPerDay]
LS = ProjectDateDiff([LateStart],[ProjectFinish])/[MinutesPerDay]
LF = ProjectDateDiff([LateFinish],[ProjectFinish])/[MinutesPerDay]

Then set up your Network Diagram template so each box displays the task
name, duration, and the four above calculated fields.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

From: m3lyssa on
Thank you, Steve! Is there a way to to get each box to take the finish
date from box 'A' and add the duration from box 'B' to get the cumulative
figures? My boxes are currently configured like this...

0 Duration 10 10 0 Duration 5 5
0 10 0 5

I would like them to look like this... Cumulative.

0 Duration 10 10 11 Duration 5 16
0 10 10 16

Thanks for your help and time.