From: pfgpowell on
Hi, I am thinking of getting a secondhand Macbook Pro (secondhand for
financial reasons) and the one I have my eye on doesn't have Firewire.
In fact, I think Firewire was dropped from other laptops. I do a lot
video editing, so is there a way around this so that I can still use
my iLink Sony camcorder?
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-07 08:44:04 +0100, pfgpowell said:

> Hi, I am thinking of getting a secondhand Macbook Pro (secondhand for
> financial reasons) and the one I have my eye on doesn't have Firewire.
> In fact, I think Firewire was dropped from other laptops. I do a lot

It was dropped for one model/size a while ago, if memory serves, but
exists on almost all others.

> video editing, so is there a way around this so that I can still use
> my iLink Sony camcorder?

Choose a different MBP!

The trend is towards AVCHD video cameras using USB, and away from FW.
So you might want to consider switching your camcorder.

--
Chris

From: pfgpowell on
On 7 Aug, 08:48, Chris Ridd <chrisr...(a)mac.com> wrote:
> On 2010-08-07 08:44:04 +0100, pfgpowell said:
>
> > Hi, I am thinking of getting a secondhand Macbook Pro (secondhand for
> > financial reasons) and the one I have my eye on doesn't have Firewire.
> > In fact, I think Firewire was dropped from other laptops. I do a lot
>
> It was dropped for one model/size a while ago, if memory serves, but
> exists on almost all others.
>
> > video editing, so is there a way around this so that I can still use
> > my iLink Sony camcorder?
>
> Choose a different MBP!
>
> The trend is towards AVCHD video cameras using USB, and away from FW.
> So you might want to consider switching your camcorder.
>
> --
> Chris

I can trawl throurh Everymac to get this info, but to save time, can
anyone tell me when Apple dropped Firewire from laptops i.e. which
Macbook Pros I should be looking at. The reason I want to hang onto
this camcorder is that it is s digital 8 which can still play my vast
array of super-8 tapes.
From: Ian McCall on
On 2010-08-07 09:04:08 +0100, pfgpowell <pfg.powell(a)virgin.net> said:

> I can trawl throurh Everymac to get this info, but to save time, can
> anyone tell me when Apple dropped Firewire from laptops i.e. which
> Macbook Pros I should be looking at. The reason I want to hang onto
> this camcorder is that it is s digital 8 which can still play my vast
> array of super-8 tapes.

Unibody 13" Macbook Pro, which was essentially the non-Pro version
beefed up in a new case. The rest still have them.

Cheers,
Ian

From: Duncan Kennedy on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> On 2010-08-07 09:04:08 +0100, pfgpowell <pfg.powell(a)virgin.net> said:
>
> > I can trawl throurh Everymac to get this info, but to save time, can
> > anyone tell me when Apple dropped Firewire from laptops i.e. which
> > Macbook Pros I should be looking at. The reason I want to hang onto
> > this camcorder is that it is s digital 8 which can still play my vast
> > array of super-8 tapes.
>

> Unibody 13" Macbook Pro, which was essentially the non-Pro version
> beefed up in a new case. The rest still have them.

I may have misunderstood but the unibody 13in MBP (Intel) I bought new
in November 09 has one FW port. (The 13in MB plastic model of the same
period doesn't)

--
duncank
 |  Next  |  Last