From: James Dore on
It's great, and nicer to use than the touchpad on the MacBook Pro, as it
is more sensitive to tap-to-click, and the actual button click action is
softer. The multitouch gestures are really useful, but there aren't enough
of them! I want clicks on three (for Spaces) and four fingers (Desktop).

It's beaten my Trackman wheel into second place, although we'll see how it
is after an hour's continuous use. But having it and a wireless keyboard
on the desk have saved a load of space. I never thought I'd take to the
smaller keyboard either, but then I've been using laptops for years, so I
just had to get over that 'Desktop keyboard should be 105 keys' mental
block. Together the Wireless keyboard and trackpad take up the same space
as the wired full size unit, and they are exactly the same dimensions in
height and depth, so they will sit right next to each other almost
seamlessly, with the added advantage that you can move them about
independently. Supercoolness would have been small magnets in each side of
each device so that they snapped together, but that's just gilding the
lily. And I like that there are no cables. We will see how I get on with
battery life; but one of those USB chargers might come in handy, now I
have some USB ports free.

Laters,
James

From: Jim on
On 2010-07-29, James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> It's great, and nicer to use than the touchpad on the MacBook Pro, as it
> is more sensitive to tap-to-click, and the actual button click action is
> softer. The multitouch gestures are really useful, but there aren't enough
> of them! I want clicks on three (for Spaces) and four fingers (Desktop).

I imagine that the authors of Magic Prefs and Better Touch Tool will be
along shortly to rectify this. I felt the same way about the Magic
Mouse - the built-in Apple gestures were far too few.

> It's beaten my Trackman wheel into second place, although we'll see how it
> is after an hour's continuous use. But having it and a wireless keyboard
> on the desk have saved a load of space. I never thought I'd take to the
> smaller keyboard either, but then I've been using laptops for years, so I
> just had to get over that 'Desktop keyboard should be 105 keys' mental
> block. Together the Wireless keyboard and trackpad take up the same space
> as the wired full size unit, and they are exactly the same dimensions in
> height and depth, so they will sit right next to each other almost
> seamlessly, with the added advantage that you can move them about
> independently. Supercoolness would have been small magnets in each side of
> each device so that they snapped together, but that's just gilding the
> lily. And I like that there are no cables. We will see how I get on with
> battery life; but one of those USB chargers might come in handy, now I
> have some USB ports free.

Once I get a little bit of cash back I may find myself tempted, but to
be honest I'm still loving the Magic Mouse.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: James Dore on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:48:21 +0100, Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-29, James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> It's great, and nicer to use than the touchpad on the MacBook Pro, as it
>> is more sensitive to tap-to-click, and the actual button click action is
>> softer. The multitouch gestures are really useful, but there aren't
>> enough
>> of them! I want clicks on three (for Spaces) and four fingers (Desktop).
>
> I imagine that the authors of Magic Prefs and Better Touch Tool will be
> along shortly to rectify this. I felt the same way about the Magic
> Mouse - the built-in Apple gestures were far too few.

Ah, that will be useful. And they're looking for beta testers....

From: Woody on
On 29/07/2010 11:36, James Dore wrote:
> It's great, and nicer to use than the touchpad on the MacBook Pro, as it
> is more sensitive to tap-to-click, and the actual button click action is
> softer. The multitouch gestures are really useful, but there aren't
> enough of them! I want clicks on three (for Spaces) and four fingers
> (Desktop).

If I get down to exeter or bristol (or even bath I guess) this weekend I
will have a go with one, and if I like it may get one.

I do like trackpads, I seriously considered the bamboo but the reviews
were bad. I like the one on the macbook pro, and the idea of a larger
one is nice.

The price seems pretty high and the wireless is still a big negative
with me, but if it is really good (and I mean *magically* good), I can
put up with that limitation.

--
Woody
From: Woody on
James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> It's great, and nicer to use than the touchpad on the MacBook Pro, as it
> is more sensitive to tap-to-click, and the actual button click action is
> softer. The multitouch gestures are really useful, but there aren't enough
> of them! I want clicks on three (for Spaces) and four fingers (Desktop).

OK, well, I went and tried one, and was sold on it. It is still wireless
but there isn't anything else like it around so i got one.

It is great for the desktop, really great.

Still need a mouse to play starcraft II though!

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com