From: zoara on
Anyone using NewsTap's new "filter subthread" function? Does it work?

I'd expected it to filter the matching article and any article that is a
followup (direct or indirect) to that article. Instead it... Well, I'm
not actually sure what it does. Displaying my read messages for a moment
it does seem to be getting *some* of the stuff, but a lot is creeping
through. I can't work out why...

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Woody on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Anyone using NewsTap's new "filter subthread" function? Does it work?
>
> I'd expected it to filter the matching article and any article that is
> followup (direct or indirect) to that article. Instead it... Well, I'm
> not actually sure what it does. Displaying my read messages for a
> moment
> it does seem to be getting *some* of the stuff, but a lot is creeping
> through. I can't work out why...

Coincidentally, I must admit that today I first started to explore the
kill file options in newstap, but not immediately getting them.

I can currently make any thread that matches (including subthread) a
different colour, but can't seem to make the same thread disappear. I
(obviously incorrectly) assumed if I could colour them with a filter, I
could just turn the 'read' switch on and the wouldn't come in. Doesn't
seem to work that way

--
Woody
From: Alexander Clauss on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> I can currently make any thread that matches (including subthread) a
> different colour, but can't seem to make the same thread disappear. I
> (obviously incorrectly) assumed if I could colour them with a filter, I
> could just turn the 'read' switch on and the wouldn't come in. Doesn't
> seem to work that way

It does work this way if NewsTap is configured to hide the read articles.
But note that while you haven't left the thread, it will be still visible,
even if all articles are now marked as read. As soon as you go to another
thread, the previous one should be hidden (assuming read articles should be
hidden, of course)

--
Alexander
From: Woody on
On 30/07/2010 10:45, Alexander Clauss wrote:
> Woody<usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I can currently make any thread that matches (including subthread) a
>> different colour, but can't seem to make the same thread disappear. I
>> (obviously incorrectly) assumed if I could colour them with a filter, I
>> could just turn the 'read' switch on and the wouldn't come in. Doesn't
>> seem to work that way
>
> It does work this way if NewsTap is configured to hide the read articles.
> But note that while you haven't left the thread, it will be still visible,
> even if all articles are now marked as read. As soon as you go to another
> thread, the previous one should be hidden (assuming read articles should be
> hidden, of course)

Still doesn't seem to be filtering on subject. Do I need to put the
'Re:' in or a * in before.

First I think I got it wrong as I had blank whereas it appears I need a
asterix if I am not interested in that field. My colour filter works on
usernames, but I was trying to kill a specific thread, and set the
filters up, then checked, and new unread messages turned up.

--
Woody
From: Woody on
On 30/07/2010 12:06, Woody wrote:
> On 30/07/2010 10:45, Alexander Clauss wrote:
>> Woody<usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I can currently make any thread that matches (including subthread) a
>>> different colour, but can't seem to make the same thread disappear. I
>>> (obviously incorrectly) assumed if I could colour them with a filter, I
>>> could just turn the 'read' switch on and the wouldn't come in. Doesn't
>>> seem to work that way
>>
>> It does work this way if NewsTap is configured to hide the read articles.
>> But note that while you haven't left the thread, it will be still
>> visible,
>> even if all articles are now marked as read. As soon as you go to another
>> thread, the previous one should be hidden (assuming read articles
>> should be
>> hidden, of course)
>
> Still doesn't seem to be filtering on subject. Do I need to put the
> 'Re:' in or a * in before.
>
> First I think I got it wrong as I had blank whereas it appears I need a
> asterix if I am not interested in that field. My colour filter works on
> usernames, but I was trying to kill a specific thread, and set the
> filters up, then checked, and new unread messages turned up.

What would be really good is a simple 'auto-filter' so you could just
click on a message and say 'autokill the rest of this thread'.
In fact, in the way of describing things in the apple world, you could
say it would be magical!

--
Woody