From: Mike Zanker on
Hmm, I've also noticed markedly increased slowness and swapping since
either Safari 5 or OSX 10.6.4 were installed. Not entirely sure which is
to blame as I installed both around the same time.

Having a low Free Memory figure isn't a problem in itself, it just means
that the OS has it all under control. When it's affecting performance,
though, it's a problem. I have a Mac Pro with 4GB RAM and rarely saw
swap file sizes above 1GB (2GB in extreme circumstances) - now it seems
that 2GB is the norm and 3GB is not unusual.

Mike

From: Rowland McDonnell on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> Well, I dunno what's going on. From time to time I seem to run out of
> green memory (the Free stuff as shown by Activity Monitor). It goes down
> to a few Mb, after which I typically restart Safari (5.0, will be 5.0.1
> right after this message) and then I'm back to about 600Mbytes (this is
> a 1.8 Core 2 Duo Mini maxed at 2Mbytes RAM). I've taken to having
> Activity Monitor up so I can see what's happening.
>
> This cycle repeats itself, so turned off Top Sites, but today took the
> biscuit. According to AM, Free Memory suddenly dipped below 1Mbyte, so
> Safari (for it was he) embarked on some kind of memory purge that took
> about 15 mins to complete, and requiring it to consume some 50% of a CPU
> during this process (all according to AM). After this Free was back up
> to 600Mbytes.
>
> I am running an application with several k lines of JavaScript under
> Safari, so this may be implicated, but turning it off never seemed to
> free up any memory.
>
> Memory seems to switch between being Free or Active - the Inactive and
> Wired don't seem to vary much.
>
> Any suggestions for what's going on or remedies appreciated. I've even
> got the Safari Debug menu up (in addition to the Develop one, that is)
> but I can't see anything on it which might be useful.

No idea about any details, but:

Any time I do the Mac voodoo dance (`run all jobs' in Applejack, and
then do all the other routine maintenance jobs that it misses, then
reboot at the login screen before finally logging in) - any time I do
that, I find things go faster and use less memory for a while at least.

Always worth a go as the first shot - often works, sometimes makes no
difference.

I've noticed that the Finder here (10.6.4) tends to use a lot of CPU if
I have a lot of Finder windows open - but only /sometimes/. Not got
much of a clue yet, but you might think along those sorts of lines.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-29, Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> I've noticed that the Finder here (10.6.4) tends to use a lot of CPU if
> I have a lot of Finder windows open - but only /sometimes/. Not got
> much of a clue yet, but you might think along those sorts of lines.

Interesting - I wonder if it has anything to do with generating preview
icons? I'll look out for that here, see if I see anything similar. How
are you measuring the memory usage? Activity Monitor?

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed that the Finder here (10.6.4) tends to use a lot of CPU if
> > I have a lot of Finder windows open - but only /sometimes/. Not got
> > much of a clue yet, but you might think along those sorts of lines.
>
> Interesting - I wonder if it has anything to do with generating preview
> icons? I'll look out for that here, see if I see anything similar. How
> are you measuring the memory usage? Activity Monitor?

Yeah - but it's CPU that's noticably through the roof. With a mere 4GB
RAM, I'm used to seeing it all chewed up.

Rowland.

P.S. `Mere' 4GB? 4GB not enough? What? What sort of a world are we
in?

From: Jim on
On 2010-07-29, Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've noticed that the Finder here (10.6.4) tends to use a lot of CPU if
>> > I have a lot of Finder windows open - but only /sometimes/. Not got
>> > much of a clue yet, but you might think along those sorts of lines.
>>
>> Interesting - I wonder if it has anything to do with generating preview
>> icons? I'll look out for that here, see if I see anything similar. How
>> are you measuring the memory usage? Activity Monitor?
>
> Yeah - but it's CPU that's noticably through the roof.

Woops. My mistake - for some reason I misread it as memory usage.
Actually, CPU usage would make more sense if it's icon preview
generation that's causing it.

> With a mere 4GB
> RAM, I'm used to seeing it all chewed up.
>
> Rowland.
>
> P.S. `Mere' 4GB? 4GB not enough? What? What sort of a world are we
> in?

It's the future, man.

Jim