From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > With a mere 4GB
> > RAM, I'm used to seeing it all chewed up.
> >
> > Rowland.
> >
> > P.S. `Mere' 4GB? 4GB not enough? What? What sort of a world are we
> > in?
>
> It's the future, man.

A poorer future than one might have hoped for...

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Woody on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> > > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > With a mere 4GB
> > > RAM, I'm used to seeing it all chewed up.
> > >
> > > Rowland.
> > >
> > > P.S. `Mere' 4GB? 4GB not enough? What? What sort of a world are we
> > > in?
> >
> > It's the future, man.
>
> A poorer future than one might have hoped for...

Possibly, but as we were all going to be flattened in a nuclear war in
the 80s, it is also a better one that we could have expected!

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > [snip]

> > > It's the future, man.
> >
> > A poorer future than one might have hoped for...
>
> Possibly, but as we were all going to be flattened in a nuclear war in
> the 80s, it is also a better one that we could have expected!

Umm.

I was expecting that the Big One wasn't going to go off in the 1980s.
No, no, I was assuming that it'd not happen until a wee bit later, when
all the weaponry was *really* devasting, not like the the simple nuclear
winter radioactive fallout mutually assured destruction scenario we were
cheerfully contemplating back then.

Anyway, I wasn't going to be *flattened*. Where I grew up, I'd've been
vapourised. Unless we were on summer holiday, in which case it turns
out the far end of Lleyn peninsula in Wales (where else?, spelt like
that?) where we went for most summer holidays is one of the best places
to be on this septic isle. Dad chatted to an observer corp bloke we met
on the hills there one day and I listened to the chat - all to do with
the winds and the way there's lots of mountains to make sure the fallout
mostly lands on someone else, the locals mostly getting rain from the
sea.

Then dad bought a fish. Very fresh. Why so many holidays there?
Because it was damned civilised, that's why - you *could* just buy a
fish off some bloke you just met, and it'd be a good fresh one caught
mere hours earlier and it'd be *gorgeous*. Especially with the shrooms
gathered from the fields. Dig it yet? We did :-)

(and yes the locals spoke Welsh - but they were *civilised* *polite*
Welsh speaking Welsh people, so no worries there. The Welsh bits of N.
Wales are like that - lovely)

In the event of the USA being a big green glowing thing, I expect we'd
all be up the spout...

I can't take the idea of `threat' seriously any more, not after the
nuclear climb-down and the end of IRA (etc) terrorism.

Like we're supposed to be scared about Iran - don't be daft. Nor's the
current so-called threat from terror-clown suicide-bombers a real threat
either.

Remember, kiddies, that more people are killed each week by the real
terrorists in this country than by worse terrorist attack *ever* in this
country. Bad drivers are the *real* threat to our life, liberty, and
well-being: not suicide-bombing bearded clowns.

If you're worried about your life being ended early, take care on the
roads; stop smoking; drink alcohol only moderately; eat 7 portions of
non-starchy fruit and veg a day; and get plenty of fresh air, sunshine,
and healthy exercise.

That'll do you a lot more good than any number of airport security
delays, CCTV cameras, extra policemen, or extra laws.

Worrying about terror-clowns is much worse for your health than the
terror-clowns. So play some relaxing music and chill out.

Rowland.