From: tinnews on
I have a home system running Ubuntu 9.10 which has stopped sending
mail, or, to be more precise it still sends the mail but it just
disappears into a black hole, no errors, no nothing.

The system runs Postfix and sends outgoing mail to my ISP's
"smarthost", it seems to have stopped working all by itslef but I'm
not *absolutely* sure of that.

The postfix log files in /var/log seem to indicate that the mails have
been sent successfully but nothing ever arrives, I've tried several
different destinations.

Any ideas how I might set about diagnosing this issue?

--
Chris Green

From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings,
tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> I have a home system running Ubuntu 9.10 which has stopped sending
> mail, or, to be more precise it still sends the mail but it just
> disappears into a black hole, no errors, no nothing.

> Any ideas how I might set about diagnosing this issue?

Change your MUA to use the smarthost directly in order to eliminate postfix.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
20:53:20 up 14 days, 11:24, 6 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.01

From: Theo Markettos on
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings,
> tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk chose the tried and tested strategy of:
> > Any ideas how I might set about diagnosing this issue?
>
> Change your MUA to use the smarthost directly in order to eliminate
> postfix.

Try running 'strace' on Postfix and see what it is doing - is it sending the
data to the smarthost, or is it never opening a socket to it? Is it trying
to access files/etc that don't exist, and failing with an error you never
see?

Theo
From: Ian Northeast on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:46:21 +0100, tinnews wrote:

> I have a home system running Ubuntu 9.10 which has stopped sending
> mail, or, to be more precise it still sends the mail but it just
> disappears into a black hole, no errors, no nothing.
>
> The system runs Postfix and sends outgoing mail to my ISP's
> "smarthost", it seems to have stopped working all by itslef but I'm
> not *absolutely* sure of that.
>
> The postfix log files in /var/log seem to indicate that the mails have
> been sent successfully but nothing ever arrives, I've tried several
> different destinations.
>
> Any ideas how I might set about diagnosing this issue?

Run wireshark (or tcpdump) on the connection to the smarthost.

Regards, Ian
From: Andy Hawkins on
Hi,

In article <dhvgi7-bqr.ln1(a)chris.isbd.net>,
tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk<tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk> wrote:
> Any ideas how I might set about diagnosing this issue?

The other advice is all good. You could also try directly injecting mail
into the smarthost to see if it gets there:

telnet mail.whatever.com smtp
mail from: my(a)email.address
rcpt to: some(a)other.address
data
Subject: Test mail

Testing
..

The '.' on the line by itself indicates the message. You should get
sort of success. After the '.' you'll probably get some kind of mail system
identifier.

If this mail doesn't arrive, you need to take it up with the operators of
your smarthost.

Andy