From: Marz on
Hello

I am trying to set up a worksheet where totals produced by a formula
equaling zero will be red and bold.
I have looked at the number formatting, but that just does negative numbers
in red. I have also tried to read through the help files, but could not find
anything. Part of the reason for that is that I just don't know where to look
for an answer.

I am thinking that this might require programming, but I am not familiar
with those abilities in Excel. Is that what the Visual Basic button/window is
for? Would this require VB code? That is OK with me. I would like to learn
how to use that. I have programming experience. But, right now, I just don't
know how to proceed. What is my next step to get a formula quantity equal to
zero appear red and bold?

Marz
From: JLatham on
Look at Conditional Formatting (Excel 2003: Format --> Cells --> Conditional
Formatting).
You can select all of the cells with the formula in them and then set them
up so that when their value IS EQUAL to 0 (just type in the zero in the
appropriate area) to turn the font Red and make it Bold.

From: Dave Peterson on
You could try conditional formatting (Format|conditional formatting in xl2003
menus).

You could actually use a custom format of:
General;-General;[Red]0;@

This consists of 4 pieces each separated by a semicolon:
positive;negative;zero;text

--

Dave Peterson
From: JLatham on
My Bad. It's not Format --> Cells --> Conditional Formatting.
It goes direct: Format --> Conditional Formatting.

From: Yanick on
On Feb 1, 10:17 am, Marz <M...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to set up a worksheet where totals produced by a formula
> equaling zero will be red and bold.
> I have looked at the number formatting, but that just does negative numbers
> in red. I have also tried to read through the help files, but could not find
> anything. Part of the reason for that is that I just don't know where to look
> for an answer.
>
> I am thinking that this might require programming, but I am not familiar
> with those abilities in Excel. Is that what the Visual Basic button/window is
> for? Would this require VB code? That is OK with me. I would like to learn
> how to use that.  I have programming experience. But, right now, I just don't
> know how to proceed. What is my next step to get a formula quantity equal to
> zero appear red and bold?
>
> Marz

If you use Excel 2000 and up, you can use "Conditional formating". To
access it, go to menu Format --> Conditional Formating

You should be able to handle the condition part.