From: FromTheRafters on
"Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote in message

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

>>> Yep, could be positive-negative.. delete it to be /sure/ though.
>>
>> No, quarantine not delete.
> BTW. what does quarantining actually do? Just change the extension or
> ?
> Buffalo

That varies from program to program. Some will encrypt and store (some
may do this anyway even when "delete" is the selected option).

From: Buffalo on

David H. Lipman wrote:
[snip]

>>> No, quarantine not delete.
>> BTW. what does quarantining actually do? Just change the extension
>> or ?
>>Buffalo
>

> It depends on the software but it ususlly envloves placing the
> suspect file in an encrypted "container" such that it is not
> accessible by any other software or process other than the anti virus
> application iself.
>
> It is akin to locking a patient with Bubanic Plague in a hospital
> isolation room/ward.

Thanks for explaining it in a way that even I can comprehend.
Buffalo :)
PS: Is that akin into changing it's extension to something that only that AV
program will recognize?