From: JD on
On 18/01/2010 7:26 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Baron"<baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
>>> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and
>>> 496M of RAM.
>>>
>>> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
>>> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
>>> right now.
>>>
>>> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
>>> there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of
>>> 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
>>> sticks?
>>
>> Jeff ! How about video memory !
>>

> I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
> General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is reported.
>
> Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported in
> the total memory installed?

Yes that's what I said in the first post (well at least implied),
onboard GFX uses the General System ram you can usually set it to a
lower or higher number, you do that in the BIOS settings.

JD
From: Baron on
Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
>>> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz,
>>> and 496M of RAM.
>>>
>>> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
>>> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
>>> right now.
>>>
>>> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic
>>> says there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short
>>> of 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
>>> sticks?
>>
>> Jeff ! How about video memory !
>>

> I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
> General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is
> reported.
>
> Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported
> in the total memory installed?

Yes that is exactly what is being said ! Look in the bios settings and
you might find that you can control the amount of ram given over to the
video card. For instance one of my machines is set to give 128Mb max
for video.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Stubbo of Oz on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:51:34 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
<crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why it runs
>so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and 496M of RAM.
>
>How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and can't
>remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now.
>
>The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says there
>should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of 512M, does this
>indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the sticks?

Get hold of Belarc Advisor FREE from:-

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

It should tell you what RAM you have (among a lot of other things).

--
----------------
Stubbo of Oz
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
>>> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and
>>> 496M of RAM.
>>>
>>> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
>>> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
>>> right now.
>>>
>>> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
>>> there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of
>>> 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
>>> sticks?
>>
>> Jeff ! How about video memory !
>>

> I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
> General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is reported.
>
> Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported in
> the total memory installed?

Thanks you guys. I'm a little slow on the uptick sometimes. The machine
specs state 16M of shared video RAM, or something to that effect. Adding to
my confusion is that I added a pair of 512M modules and the report remained
at 496M of RAM.

I decided that I must have a bad module so I installed them separately. One
was completely dead, the machine would not boot. The 256M modules both
booted and the memory report from the POST always reported the size of the
installed RAM -- the size of the modules.

Anyhow, the System Properties + Shared Video = the modules installed.

Fry's Electronics has 1 GB, PC2700, DDR-333 modules for $25 after rebate.
Tough deal to pass up ...

From: Kyle on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:08:53 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
<crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks you guys. I'm a little slow on the uptick sometimes. The machine
>specs state 16M of shared video RAM, or something to that effect. Adding to
>my confusion is that I added a pair of 512M modules and the report remained
>at 496M of RAM.
>
>I decided that I must have a bad module so I installed them separately. One
>was completely dead, the machine would not boot. The 256M modules both
>booted and the memory report from the POST always reported the size of the
>installed RAM -- the size of the modules.
>
>Anyhow, the System Properties + Shared Video = the modules installed.
>
>Fry's Electronics has 1 GB, PC2700, DDR-333 modules for $25 after rebate.
>Tough deal to pass up ...

Anyway, it's a very old PC... maybe it's time to update anything or
buy a new one?

What do you use it for? maybe just word processing, I think.

Really, you need to update it.

--
http://shop-for-computer.com - Best Pc Deals, Refurbished Deals

http://shop-for-clothes.com - Shoes, Handbags, Shirts, Coats