From: Russell on
Hello,

My win xp sp 3 computer hung up during a defragmentation. Upon trying to
restart, I got an MBR error. It is an old dell, but I have a sata
controller and 2 sata drives Plus the original 80 meg drive. I can boot from
the 2nd SATA drive (1yr old backup). I can not access the 1st drive to
repair the mbr. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Russell

From: Carmel on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:51:08 -0500
Russell Russell <rpp44(a)optonline.net> articulated:

> Hello,
>
> My win xp sp 3 computer hung up during a defragmentation. Upon trying
> to restart, I got an MBR error. It is an old dell, but I have a sata
> controller and 2 sata drives Plus the original 80 meg drive. I can
> boot from the 2nd SATA drive (1yr old backup). I can not access the
> 1st drive to repair the mbr. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Russell

# Click Start, and then Run.
# In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
# Use one of the following procedures:

* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type
chkdsk, and then press ENTER.

* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at
the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you
will receive the following message: Chkdsk cannot run because the
volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this
volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Type Y,
and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your
computer to start the disk check.

* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable
information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then
press ENTER.

The last one is the best suggestion. If that does not work, you may
have to use something like SPINRITE to correct a corrupt disk.

--
Carmel |::::=======
|===========
|===========

From: Russell on
HI Carmel,

Thanks, but the disk seems to be inaccessible. My computer is booting from
what used to be d: (1) it has moved up to C: (0) and the original C: (0) is
inaccessible. I was thinking of disconnecting the 2nd drive (d:). Do you
think that will then make it accessible to those commands?

Thanks

Russell

From: Bill Blanton on
chkdsk won't fix a corrupted MBR. What was the exact error message, and
does the BIOS see the drive?

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
there is a disk command
called fixmbr