From: Drora on
When you click on "Turn off computer" you get a menu with three things:

"Stand by" "Turn off" "Restart"

My "stand by" option is gone, grayed out.

Any one knows how I can restore it?

Thanks
Drora

From: Jose on
On Feb 16, 11:45 pm, "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote:
> When you click on "Turn off computer" you get a menu with three things:
>
> "Stand by"     "Turn off"    "Restart"
>
> My "stand by" option is gone, grayed out.
>
> Any one knows how I can restore it?
>
> Thanks
> Drora

Yeah - it could be the drivers but maybe you need some help figuring
out how to check the video driver version, what version do you have
now, what version do you need and what to do about it. You know...
something helpful.

Has the Stand By button ever worked? If it used to work, what do you
think might have happened since it last worked properly?

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

From: Jose on
On Feb 17, 10:10 am, "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote:
> My system is XP PRO + SP3 on a desktop
>
> The "Stand by" always worked until last night.
>
> I believe your idea of  bad video drivers is the problem as I was trying to
> upgrade an INTEL camera software that needed a patch from their site to
> bring up to par.
> Installing it was one big trouble as it was a very renegade program with
> many strange demands but I could no longer going back.
>
> Maybe I should do a  "Restore point" every day but the last one I did was
> over a month ago and if I go back there now I lose a ton of stuff. Maybe
> this is what in the end I will have to do if there is no shorter way for
> that.
>
> BTW: Do "Restore points" stay forever on the machine ? and how much space do
> they take?
> Drora
>
> "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message

> > The most common reason for the Stand By button being disabled is not
> > having the correct video drivers installed on your computer.  Using
> > generic "native" drivers supplied by Windows is not good enough.  You need
> > to have the proper drivers from the display adapter manufacturer or from
> > the computer manufacturer.
>
> > If it's a laptop, the computer maker is often your best choice for these
> > drivers.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> > A+
> >http://dts-l.net/
>
> > "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote in message
> >> When you click on "Turn off computer" you get a menu with three things:
>
> >> "Stand by"     "Turn off"    "Restart"
>
> >> My "stand by" option is gone, grayed out.
>
> >> Any one knows how I can restore it?
>
> >> Thanks
> >> Drora

Maybe? Might?

If you had some renegade program, it may be in your Restore Points
too, so I would hold them in high suspicion after some attack.

XP tries to create a Restore Points every 24 hours if the conditions
to do so are correct, but you can sure make one manually. If you look
at the calendar in System Restore, what do you see for possible go
back kinds of dates? Are those old Restore Points carrying some
renegade software?

It would seem to make more sense to update your drivers to be current
than to try to roll back to some old driver that might work or to use
a Restore Point that is full of who knows what. If you roll back or
restore and it works, that would fix your immediate problem but your
system would be wrong again since it would have old stuff on it.

I don't see how rolling back a driver makes sense when we don't know
what anything about your system (yet), what drivers you have now or if
there even is a new driver for you to install. A bunch of guesswork.
Have you ever rolled back a video driver before? Is there a later
version driver for your system? Have you ever restored your computer
using System Restore?

It might work and then maybe you have to install your camera software
again and that might break it again. Too many ifs, mights and maybes
for me. but it's your computer.

I would fix your current issue by moving in a forward direction, not
backward, make sure your system is cleaned up from those renegades,
make a brand new RP as a baseline when things are working correctly
and continue happily after that.

If you provide the information I asked for before, you will get the
best advice.
From: Jose on
On Feb 17, 10:28 pm, "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > numbers.
>
> > If you don't see any for this month, there are none for this month. What
> > do you see there?
>
> > If you do not have any recent restore points, it is better to determine
> > what display adapter you have, and find the correct drivers for it.
>
> > You say you have an ATi disc...did it come with the computer or with the
> > video card that is currently installed?  What does it say on it?
>
> > In Device Manager, you say you have big yellow question marks instead of a
> > display adapter.  What are those question marks labeled?  Are they in a
> > category named Other or Unknown?
>
> > We need to determine if the ATi disc is for the adapter in your computer
> > or not.
>
> > Go here and download System Information for Windows (SIW):
> >http://www.gtopala.com/
> > Here is a direct link to the installer:
> >http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw-setup.exe
> > or you can download a standalone version without an installer, save it to
> > your hard drive, put it in a folder manually and run it:
> >http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw.exe
>
> > Once you have SIW running, in the left-hand pane, expand the Hardware
> > section then select the Video, and in the right side see what it lists for
> > "Display Adapter" and Video Processor".
> > Also under Hardware, select "PCI" on the left, and see if it lists
> > anything on the right for VGA Controller or for the "unknown" device you
> > see.
>
> > That's enough for now...post back with what you find re: your restore
> > points and what SIW shows.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> > A+
> >http://dts-l.net/
>
> > "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote in message
> >> Glen you don't know how right you are !
> >> I went to Device manager and there is no DISPLAY ADAPTER at all. There
> >> are big yellow question marks
> >> I double clicked it and went through each option but can't find the
> >> driver.
> >> I have both WINDOW XP disk and the ATI video disk. I inserted them both
> >> but the system keep saying it find nothing to install.
> >> I believed that at least in the windows disk should be something but no
> >> joy there.
>
> >> I remember in the past, anytime I visited the ADD REMOVE page I used to
> >> see three lines by INTEL drivers I never knew what they were.
> >> Now probably the INTEL Camera removed them because they are not there.
>
> >> Tell me this about "RESTORE"
> >> 1)Does it do its own points even if it is not marked there?
> >> 2) For how long those restore points remain valid or active?
> >> The entire problem started yesterday as just yesterday 16/2/2010 I tried
> >> to install the Intel Camera.
> >> If I do a restore now, will it do it?
>
> >> Thanks you
> >> Drora
>
> >> "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message

Here is how you find out without downloading any third party
software. You have everything you need to gather the information
already - manufacturer, motherboard, versions, video information, etc.
- and you would have been on your way by now.

From: glee on
"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>Here is how you find out without downloading any third party
>software. You have everything you need to gather the information
>already - manufacturer, motherboard, versions, video information, etc.
>- and you would have been on your way by now.
>
>Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>
>msinfo32
>
>Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
>All, Copy and then paste the information back here.
>
>There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
>Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
>delete it from the pasted information.
>
>For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
>click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.
>
>This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

That's not entirely correct. System Information (msinfo32) will NOT
give any information regarding the motherboard make and model or
chipset. The display information *may* show the installed hardware, but
only if the correct drivers are installed. If no drivers are installed,
msinfo32 may not show any pertinent info to correctly identify the
display adapter.

Installing a simple utility like SIW is what will eliminate the
guesswork and minimize the need for more Q&A.

Certainly, running msinfo32 may supplement the needed information, and
is a good suggestion for an *additional* scan, but it will not give all
the required information.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+
http://dts-l.net/

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3