From: David H. Lipman on
From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

| Restoring SVCHOST.EXE on computers affected by DAT 5958
| http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100970

in short...

copy %windir%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %windir%\system32

--
Dave

From: MEB on

UPDATE:

McAfee Offers Solution For Home or Home Office Consumers Affected By
Faulty Update to Security Software
http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/landingpages/np5959.asp?cid=77220

The deal?
Either a couple of fixes [*free phone help*, download a fix, or a
delivered CD to fix the computer(s)], or potentially reimbursement of
costs for repairs should that have occurred.

AND:
"Additionally, because we value our loyal customers, home or home office
users whose PCs were rendered inoperable or severely impaired as a
result of the security update will receive a free two-year extension of
their current McAfee subscription product at no charge."

On 04/22/2010 06:01 PM, MEB wrote:
> On 04/22/2010 05:49 PM, MEB wrote:
>
> Addendum
> Oops, forgot the Home User How To:
>
>> On 04/21/2010 05:35 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> McAfee VirusScan DAT Update May Cause Microsoft Windows System Failure
>>> http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewAlert.x?alertId=20375
>>>
>>> McAfee KnowledgeBase - False positive detection of w32/wecorl.a in 5958 DAT
>>> https://kc.mcafee.com:443/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68780
>>>
>>> EXTRA.DAT to suppress detection of w32/wecorl.a false positive with the
>>> 5958 DAT file
>>> http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1374
>>

>> There is/are (a) work-around/fix for those affected by this flaw:
>>

>> False positive detection of w32/wecorl.a in 5958 DAT (for
>> Corporate/Business users) - VirusScan Enterprise
>> Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB68780
>> Published: April 22, 2010
>>
>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/5958_false.htm
>>
>> Make sure to follow the applicable fix EXACTLY.
>>
>> HOME USERS:
>>
>> ALERT: 5958 DAT Update Issue (For Home Users Only)
>> http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100969
>>

> Restoring SVCHOST.EXE on computers affected by DAT 5958
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100970

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
http://peoplescounsel.org
The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
___---