From: John on
I am a home user and have Widows XP home SP3 and only use MSE for security.
What is the difference between MSE and WD, is there any benefit in having
both installed at the same time and if not, which one is the better one to
have?

From: ~BD~ on
John wrote:
>> I am a home user and have Widows XP home SP3 and only use MSE for
>> security. What is the difference between MSE and WD, is there any
>> benefit in having both installed at the same time and if not, which
>> one is the better one to have?

Hello John

MSE is a combined anti-virus and anti-spyware facility (effectively
incorporating WD)

WD is unnecessary if one has MSE installed.

I'm a home user too (not a guru) and have MSE installed on both a
desktop and laptop. To date, no problems! ;-)

HTH
--
Dave

From: JD on

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/software.mspx

--
JD..
From: Geoff on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:13:47 -0500, JD <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> I am a home user and have Widows XP home SP3 and only use MSE for
>> security. What is the difference between MSE and WD, is there any
>> benefit in having both installed at the same time and if not, which one
>> is the better one to have?
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/software.mspx

From looking at this page it will be clear to you that MSSE does more
than WD and it should be preferred. I don't know why they came out
with the new product rather than expanding WD, perhaps it was due to
limitations in WD.

You should uninstall Windows Defender and any other A-V applications
before installing MSSE or you may have SEVERE performance problems.
From: Leo on
It is my understanding that MSE turns off Defender during install, accordingly you do not have to uninstall Defender.

--

LEO
Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?
"Geoff" <geoff(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:u7trs55h7aimbfbplivtuaup12ku0ek2jn(a)4ax.com...
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:13:47 -0500, JD <JD(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> I am a home user and have Widows XP home SP3 and only use MSE for
>> security. What is the difference between MSE and WD, is there any
>> benefit in having both installed at the same time and if not, which one
>> is the better one to have?
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/software.mspx

From looking at this page it will be clear to you that MSSE does more