From: Geoff on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:12:43 -0500, "Leo" <nomail(a)for.me> wrote:

>It is my understanding that MSE turns off Defender during install, accordingly you do not have to uninstall Defender.

I don't know about how they turn off Defender but I do know about
problems. It also made Defender nag about not being updated, etc.

Initial release of MSSE didn't turn off Defender at all. It might be
better now but the WD process was still active even after recent MSSE
updates.

Per the recommendations in the MSSE install, "Remove any anti-virus or
anti-malware applications before installing MSSE". I would assume this
means WD as well as third-party programs.

I had WD installed on a 2.8GHz P4 system and had severe problems with
delayed file R/W and response times in IE7 and IE8 and other
applications after installing MSSE.

Removing both WD and MSSE and reinstalling MSSE fixed it.

They overlap functionality, simply remove the inferior program.
From: Ǝиçεl on
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/02/15/how-to-disable-windows-defender-from-starting-when-vista-boots/

From: Geoff on
It's called "Uninstall".
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
From Vista?

From: Ǝиçεl on
Geoff,

FYI

In Vista, MS Windows Defender is a part of the operating system--it is not
separately uninstallable or installable.
-=-