From: SPAMCOP User on
Michael,

Had a similar problem on a 2003 R2 domain controller not long ago with 8.5
Enterprise. When connecting to it via another machine and computer
management I stopped setting to manual & the problem went away. It created a
normal startup but without any protection. It turned out to be McCrappy was
doing a zero percent startup scan. Re-enabling the services & removing the
startup scan solved the issue. Another thing you could check is if virus
updating is set to computer startup.

The best people to ask are the Support Team at McCrappy unless you aren't
legit

--
SPAMCOP User

From: Michael C on

"LVTravel" wrote:

> "Michael C" <MichaelC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason, my mcafee security software is taking longer to load onto
> > windows on startup. I disabled anything that loads in my system tray from
> > msconfig, so the only thing that loads is the mcafee. It still starts slow
> > and mcafee said they do not know what the problem is. What else can I do?
> > Should I disable more stuff in my ms config?
>
> One of the worst security suites out there, running a close second to
> Norton's product.
>
> Free Zone Alarm firewall and either free Avast or AVG anti-viral programs
> are faster, leave a much smaller footprint of memory use and greater program
> and operating system reliability.
>
> Download and run Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy (after
> installing and updating) to ensure there are no nasties that McAfee missed.

Thank you, I have heard enough about mcafee sucks and I am ready to switch!
does AG have a firewall? Do I need one? Can I use the windows firewall with
AVG?
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:10:01 -0700, Michael C
<MichaelC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> "LVTravel" wrote:
>

> > "Michael C" <MichaelC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > For some reason, my mcafee security software is taking longer to load onto
> > > windows on startup. I disabled anything that loads in my system tray from
> > > msconfig, so the only thing that loads is the mcafee. It still starts slow
> > > and mcafee said they do not know what the problem is. What else can I do?
> > > Should I disable more stuff in my ms config?
> >
> > One of the worst security suites out there, running a close second to
> > Norton's product.
> >
> > Free Zone Alarm firewall and either free Avast or AVG anti-viral programs
> > are faster, leave a much smaller footprint of memory use and greater program
> > and operating system reliability.
> >
> > Download and run Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy (after
> > installing and updating) to ensure there are no nasties that McAfee missed.
> >

> Thank you, I have heard enough about mcafee sucks and I am ready to switch!

Excellent!

> does AG have a firewall?

Does you mean AVG? No, at least not the basic free program.

By the way, I highly recommend that you get Avast, which LVTravel also
recommended above, instead of AVG. It's considerably better, in my
view.

> Do I need one?

Yes, but you don't need a third-party one.

> Can I use the windows firewall with AVG?

Yes. What anti-virus program you run, or even whether you run any
anti-virus program, is irrelevant. There's no "with" to be considered
here.

I recommend the built-in Windows firewall. There's no reason to use a
third-party firewall.

I used to recommend third-party firewalls over the Windows one
because they were two-way, and the Windows firewall only monitored
incoming traffic.

I've become convinced, however, that outbound protection is
meaningless. Once one of the nasties gets into your computer, it can
essentially do whatever it wants, including circumventing the
firewall. So the extra protection provided by a firewall that monitors
outbound traffic is more apparent than real.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: BillW50 on
In news:em6qb5tij3c8d8o8ttnl6qjbglqs69grej(a)4ax.com,
Ken Blake, MVP typed on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:38:46 -0700:
[...]
> I used to recommend third-party firewalls over the Windows one
> because they were two-way, and the Windows firewall only monitored
> incoming traffic.
>
> I've become convinced, however, that outbound protection is
> meaningless. Once one of the nasties gets into your computer, it can
> essentially do whatever it wants, including circumventing the
> firewall. So the extra protection provided by a firewall that monitors
> outbound traffic is more apparent than real.

Actually the Windows XP firewall does monitor some outbound traffic. As
Windows XP tells me it has blocked some outbound communication and
allows me to select allow or block.

--
Bill
Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)

From: Daave on
BillW50 wrote:
> In news:em6qb5tij3c8d8o8ttnl6qjbglqs69grej(a)4ax.com,
> Ken Blake, MVP typed on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:38:46 -0700:
> [...]
>> I used to recommend third-party firewalls over the Windows one
>> because they were two-way, and the Windows firewall only monitored
>> incoming traffic.
>>
>> I've become convinced, however, that outbound protection is
>> meaningless. Once one of the nasties gets into your computer, it can
>> essentially do whatever it wants, including circumventing the
>> firewall. So the extra protection provided by a firewall that
>> monitors outbound traffic is more apparent than real.
>
> Actually the Windows XP firewall does monitor some outbound traffic.
> As Windows XP tells me it has blocked some outbound communication and
> allows me to select allow or block.

That's news to me.