From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:14:10 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

> In news:fohsb5dtod1juabgkd1hhseifk155hrqpi(a)4ax.com,
> Ken Blake, MVP typed on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:56:02 -0700:
> > On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:21:55 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
> >
> >> In news:kt7sb51rhma8knufvhpma2e2ffq8e81evo(a)4ax.com,
> >> Ken Blake, MVP typed on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:07:12 -0700:

> >> I could do better than that. Here is a snapshot of it in action.
> >>
> >> http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8030/windowsfirewallhasblock.gif
> >

> > Please note the message on that screen. It says "Windows firewall has
> > blocked this program from accepting connections from the internet or a
> > network." The Word "accepting" is clearly referring to incoming
> > traffic, not outbound.
>
> Yes sorry, I remembered incorrectly.

OK, thanks. No big deal. Glad it got straightened out.

> But the effect is the same. Let's
> say Virus.exe wants to phone home. So it sends out a request to
> communicate with the server. The server response with okay I am ready.
> But Windows Firewall blocks the message from getting to Virus.exe. So
> nothing happens.
>
> So all of the programs that are being blocked, has the effect of never
> seeing being connected to the Internet. As they can't communicate with
> anybody. So they can't do anything. While unblocked programs like
> browsers, email, etc. has free access to the Internet.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: suneelkumar85 on

I was just writing a utility assembly for the startup handling of my
applications. That thing is called ....Startup.dll, which kind of made
sense to me and resides within a folder called Startup in my source
code hierarchy. No problem that far. Things started to behave weirdly
when I created a small test app, a separate project in a subfolder of
the Startup folder. Suddenly I got an error from Visual Studio: CS0016,
... can't write to file ...\test.startup.exe: access denied.

Usually this kind of problem has something to do with the funny methods
that VS uses to access IntelliSense information for the IDE. That's been
a known problem in VS.NET 2003 for a long time and although I was using
v2005, I thought maybe it had to do with that. Restarted, looked
around... no change. I tried to create another project in another place
and found out bit by bit that actually the path where the project was
stored was the issue here.

To make a long story short: I found that McAfee VirusScan was the
source of the problem. I'm using the Enterprise 8 version, no idea
about others. That thing has a feature called "Access protection",
which performs some port blocking and others functions. Under the
option name Prevent access to suspicious startup items (.exe) it
implements a protection for the Startup folder... but not only for the
Startup folder, but for all folders that are called Startup. Wow.

By configuring the access protection via the VirusScan Console, it's
possible to switch that option off and everything's back to normal. Now
back to my startup utility :-)
'Property Developers'
(http://www.themortgagebroker.co.uk/property-developers.html)
'Tummy Tuck' (http://tummytuckguide.com)