From: Justin on
In article <#WDZgbdMLHA.1172(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
"Paul Richards" <paulrichards(a)XXXNOSPAMiinet.net.au> wrote:

> Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'm running XP Pro so I'll
> start here.
>
> I've run a HP Pavilion DV6000 with 2 x 512mb RAM chips for 4 years now.
> No problems whatsoever.
>
> I decided to upgrade my memory to 2 x 1gb RAM chips. They are the
> correct specification for the HP machine - I've checked!
>
> With the 2gb memory I started getting program crashes ("Windows has
> encountered an error"-type messages), OS crashes and BSODs. I have use
> the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to test the new chips - they passed
> all the standard tests. So what can be the cause of this instability?
>
> I've put my former 2 x 512mb RAM back, and calm is restored :-)

Memtest86.
get a CD-RW make the ISO and boot from that CD. It will run a memory
check. Let it run for a few hours and see if you get any red errors.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Let's rule out defective RAM since it is so easy.
From: Questor on
I had similar problems trying to upgrade with memory bought from E-bay. I
finally ordered some from Kingston and had no problems. I think it's best
to use good quality when it comes to memory.

From: Jim on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 17:08:45 -0700, "Paul Richards"
<paulrichards(a)XXXNOSPAMiinet.net.au> wrote:

>Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'm running XP Pro so I'll
>start here.
>
>I've run a HP Pavilion DV6000 with 2 x 512mb RAM chips for 4 years now.
>No problems whatsoever.
>
>I decided to upgrade my memory to 2 x 1gb RAM chips. They are the
>correct specification for the HP machine - I've checked!
>
>With the 2gb memory I started getting program crashes ("Windows has
>encountered an error"-type messages), OS crashes and BSODs. I have use
>the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to test the new chips - they passed
>all the standard tests. So what can be the cause of this instability?
>
>I've put my former 2 x 512mb RAM back, and calm is restored :-)

Crucial.com or Crucial.co.uk , d/l tester which will let you know what
memory to use .
From: Db on
well we know for sure
that the 512 chips work.

so I would install one
of the chips in the
first bay

then install the 1 gig
chip in the second bay.

what I think will happen
is that the pc will be
functional and you
can see if it recognizes
the additional mem

via msinfo32

db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: Paul Richards on
Paul Richards wrote:

> Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'm running XP Pro so I'll
> start here.
>
> I've run a HP Pavilion DV6000 with 2 x 512mb RAM chips for 4 years
> now. No problems whatsoever.
>
> I decided to upgrade my memory to 2 x 1gb RAM chips. They are the
> correct specification for the HP machine - I've checked!
>
> With the 2gb memory I started getting program crashes ("Windows has
> encountered an error"-type messages), OS crashes and BSODs. I have use
> the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to test the new chips - they passed
> all the standard tests. So what can be the cause of this instability?
>
> I've put my former 2 x 512mb RAM back, and calm is restored :-)

Thanks for all the inputs. I've run the extensive tests of the Windows
Memory Diagnostic tool and one of the RAM chips displayed a number of
failures (the other one passed all the tests.) So I'm returning the
failed chip under warranty and hoping a replacement will lead to a
successful memory upgrade.

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia