From: Db on
glad you found the problem

however, there is a bit more
advice to consider.

it is highly likely (highly)
that xp will not need
the additional ram.

basically, by adding
2 gigs of ram would
be wasteful.

if I recall, xp and all the
programs it runs will
only use somewhere
between 760 and 1 gig.

db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: Unknown on
That is not correct. XP can use all the ram installed. However only about
3.1 gigs is addressable.
The remaining .9 gigs is used by hardware.

From: Bob I on
RAM, virtual memory, pagefile, and memory management in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2160852

From: Tim Slattery on
"Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote:

>That is not correct. XP can use all the ram installed. However only about
>3.1 gigs is addressable.
>The remaining .9 gigs is used by hardware.

32-bit operating systems - including XP, Vista, and Win7 - have a
32-bit (4GB) address space. Part of that must be used to access video
RAM, BIOS, and a few other things. The address space left over after
those things are taken care of is used to access your system RAM.
Given the amount of RAM on video boards these days, that usually works
out to about 3.2 to 3.5 GB of RAM that can be accessed.

The only way around this is 64-bit computing. In 64-bit land the
available address space is huge. The actual amount varies according to
which version of which OS you're using. None at this time come close
to using the entire 64-bit space (something like 1.8 * 10^18), but all
implement much more address space than any 32-bit machine.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov