From: Todd on
Hi, all.

Starting this evening, my new mail messages don't seem to be
downloading from the Earthlink server. I received mail normally
today, but there are new messages in webmail, but they are not coming
through in Eudora 5.1. The task icon just keeps spinning but nothing
comes.

Any thoughts about what could be causing this suddenly? I went to
look for the rcv file in the spool directory, but it's not there.
Sometimes deleting this file solves other problems.

I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd
From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 00:02:48 -0600, Todd wrote:

> Starting this evening, my new mail messages don't seem to be
> downloading from the Earthlink server. I received mail normally
> today, but there are new messages in webmail, but they are not coming
> through in Eudora 5.1. The task icon just keeps spinning but nothing
> comes.

Why do you stay with version 5.1,
which can not handle many newer servers at all?

What is the POP (incoming) server name,
and the setting for "Secure Sockets when Receiving"?

Also what is the SMTP (outgoing) server name,
the setting for "Secure Sockets when Sending"
and the setting for "Allow authentication"?

If they are currently set to "If available, STARTTLS"
then try changing to "Never"

Do you have any unsent outgoing messages?

Are you using DSL? Dial-up?
Are there any very large messages (i.e. having
large attachments) not yet downloaded?

"In many cases, it is helpful to have a Eudora log
to troubleshoot a problem. Logs are particularly helpful
when troubleshooting problems related to sending or checking mail."
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=6259

From: Todd on
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 05:40:29 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 00:02:48 -0600, Todd wrote:
>
>> Starting this evening, my new mail messages don't seem to be
>> downloading from the Earthlink server. I received mail normally
>> today, but there are new messages in webmail, but they are not coming
>> through in Eudora 5.1. The task icon just keeps spinning but nothing
>> comes.
>
>Why do you stay with version 5.1,
>which can not handle many newer servers at all?
>
>What is the POP (incoming) server name,
>and the setting for "Secure Sockets when Receiving"?
>
>Also what is the SMTP (outgoing) server name,
>the setting for "Secure Sockets when Sending"
>and the setting for "Allow authentication"?
>
>If they are currently set to "If available, STARTTLS"
>then try changing to "Never"
>
>Do you have any unsent outgoing messages?
>
>Are you using DSL? Dial-up?
>Are there any very large messages (i.e. having
>large attachments) not yet downloaded?
>
>"In many cases, it is helpful to have a Eudora log
>to troubleshoot a problem. Logs are particularly helpful
>when troubleshooting problems related to sending or checking mail."
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=6259

I stay with 5.1 out of habit, but I guess it's long past time to
upgrade. I just hate dealing with all the additional problems I seem
to encounter when I do.

It appears that mail is now working. Must have been an Earthlink
problem. However, it kicked out duplicates of everything that was
already downloaded as well as the new messages from last night.

To answer your questions, outgoing server is set to localHost, and the
setting for secure sockets is "If available, STARTTLS." I did not
have any outgoing messages. Also, I am on a cable modem and no large
messages were waiting to be downloaded, unless perhaps the problem was
that it was trying to download everything all over again and found
some large old messages there.

In any event, it's working now. But you're right. I guess it's time
to upgrade. Man, I hate change. lol

Thanks for your help, John.

Todd
From: Todd on
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:58:09 +0000, Jim Higgins
<invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:02:48 -0800, Todd <twrexxnospam(a)earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Starting this evening, my new mail messages don't seem to be
>>downloading from the Earthlink server.
>
>Have you called your ISP and asked if there is a problem with their
>mail server or DNS service?

That tends to be a chore in itself. Getting someone on the phone
quickly at Earthlink is like jumping through hoops.

But it did appear to be an Earthlink issue as all the messages
downloaded fine this morning. Unfortunately it kicked out duplicates
of previously downloaded messages as well. Fortunately I didn't have
that many out on the server.

Todd
From: Steve Urbach on
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:21:21 -0800, Todd <twrexxnospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Must have been an Earthlink
>problem.

IMHO That is becoming a "redundant phrase" :P

EL is going the way CompuServe went after AOHell bought them. :(