From: James J. Gavan on
Derek Schrock wrote:
>>>Make sure that what you are CALLing (if it is COBOL) has been compiled for
>>>debugging.
>>
>>Jeez ! That WOULD be quite helpful, wouldn't it ? :-)
>

> To All,
> Thanks for the prompt replies. IRC has been a drag for COBOL support
> and Microfocus forums have maybe three users.
> But yes it's COBOL calling COBOL; I'll check tomorrow on how to build
> the calling program for debugging. I remember seeing this option int
> the man page.
> However, what type of file is a CALL executing? .int? .gnt? If I have
> both in $PATH should I make sure to only have the .int to ensure the
> debuggable one is executed.

It's not that complicated - well it isn't once somebody spells it out
for you. At this stage you are in the IDE, writing source and then
compiling and testing.

1. Ensure the box at the top left of the IDE 'Type of Build' shows
"Generic Debug Build" in the dropdown list.

2. The first program you want executed in the project should be the
first one that you use this feature for : Dropdown Menu : Project---->
"Add files to Project"------> gives you a list of files - select
Program-1.

3. Having added that first program, you can now do the following.
File----> Open----> and open Program-1. (Alternatively in the RIGHT Pane
- alphabetical list of files - select the source you want. (Don't select
the ***.int from the Left Pane Treeview - anyway the Left Pane 'is a
pain' - doesn't show entries in alphabetical sequence).

4. Now go to Project----> and you should see Program-1 Specified against
'Compile', (or as a quickie you can use CTRL + F7 for a Build/Rebuild of
Program-1).

5. You can follow Steps 3 and 4 for each program added, if you wish.

6. You are not quite sure what you have changed over time, then from
Project----->select "Rebuild" which rebuilds all source which may have
been changed.

6. At some stage at completion, (or earlier if you prefer), Project---->
select "Rebuild ALL".

7. All these 'Builds' generate your ...INT and ....IDY files in the
\DEBUG sub-folder for the Project. (They are used by the ANIMATOR). I
recommend that for the developing stage, you ignore reference to files
.....GNT - I've never specifically used them.

8. Running data tests against the whole shebang - you find a program
croaks with a logic error. You may be aware of which programs or
situation where the error occurs, so you can zero in on that source for
correction. Establish where in the appropriate source, that the error
occurs and set an Animator BREAKPOINT just before it goes awry. Use the
'EXAMINE' feature (Magnifying glass Icon) to see the values in variables
causing you problems. As you get into the swing of things you can
monitor variables or record fields and even put them into a temporary
WatchList.

9. Building an executable - a different topic; you can read up on that
later, but you have a fair bit to comprehend without worrying about that
at this stage. When it comes to building the Executable(s) and support
DLL libraries, you switch that Top Left 'Type of Build' ---> to read
'Generic Release Build'.

I would recommend that you don't use the Release feature until you are
more than satisfied that the project will work without any errors - that
of course you can only find out by throwing spurious data at the
project. But I might add, using the Animator feature EXAMINE you can
change a value like "Tom Jones" to "Thomas Jones", '123.45' to '932.67',
or just for fun put alphabetics into numeric fields.

HTH

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: James J. Gavan on
Derek Schrock wrote:
> To All,
> Thanks for the prompt replies. IRC has been a drag for COBOL support
> and Microfocus forums have maybe three users etc.....

Derek,

I've posted this to you direct as well, in case you don't come here
looking any more :-).

Having sent my previous message I reflected on "IRC" above - is that one
of those cryptic e-mail abbreviations or did you buy and get support
from something called IRC, or are you referring to Chat groups which I
found googling on 'IRC'.

Why I ask, is because Rene in the Philippines made reference to vendors
selling and supporting Micro Focus products. I found these 'vendors' by
googling. I don't remember the name, but part of the Pentagon, something
like ITNSC department, (Information Technology Navy Software Control),
or some such name. The lady in the Control Branch was putting out a
request for tenders to get info from Vendors selling Net Express, and
defining the tech support they would provide.

Yep Micro Focus forums - they have become real dicey since Net Express V
5.0, 5.1 - M/F are putting their money on .Net (let COBOL users ask the
..Net folks for support). If you aren't aware there are two M/F forums -

(1) originally called Answer Exchange, and as Alan Wheeler the
Administrator informed me, they can't currently use 'Answer Exchange'
because it is copyrighted to the departed Merant - abysmal, but Micro
Focus joined with one other to form Merant - but now M/F are back on
their own. I'm not sure what the forum is now called. (I've still got it
in my Bookmarks as 'Answer Exchange').

This is what I use to get in -

http://forum.microfocus.com/~Micro_Focus_Products/login

If successful and it prompts you for info, put in your Name and a
password. If that doesn't work, backtrack to the Micro Focus main page
to see if you can get at it as a new user.

It has sub-sets per topic and you are interested in Net Express. You can
also check out an archive of messages which you can view, but those you
can't respond to. A year or so back N/E used to have a busy time, say
some 6 threads created per day, with suggested or finite solutions
coming from other users and M/F employees; the M/F people are all over
the place, (or were !), U.S, east and west coasts, Quebec, UK (Newbury)
etc. Unfortunately like all commercial organizations and in the name of
'rationalization' (musical chairs) some real M/F stalwarts have
disappeared. It is quite some time since I've seen an M/F employee kick
in - who knows, they may have been informed 'from above' - "Don't
respond; anything before V 5.1, we just want it to die !". My suggestion
may sound outrageous but from my own career I KNOW that sort of thing
can happen in the commercial world.

They do have another forum - covering ALL their software and compilers,
but I suspect you are supposed to be signed up for technical support
($$$$$$ !) to be able to ask questions. It's a bit clinical - your
question is presented anonymously and a solution is given. The link I
found that will take you to that one is :-

http://www.support.microfocus.com/xmlloader.asp?type=home#

It will probably prompt you to log-in but select 'Knowledge Base' from
the Left Pane in the page. True there's not a great deal in here about
Net Express; and as I use OO , about four topics.

Your best bet to see what's available is the 'Answer Exchange'.

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: CoboLero on
On Feb 1, 10:34 pm, Derek Schrock <derekschr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
> Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
> Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
> CALL by stepping over and not into.

Just press F11 to step into the call or any other procedure, instead
of F10.
Christos.
From: Derek Schrock on
On Feb 2, 3:44 am, CoboLero <cmari...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 10:34 pm, Derek Schrock <derekschr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
> > Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
> > Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
> > CALL by stepping over and not into.
>
> Just press F11 to step into the call or any other procedure, instead
> of F10.
> Christos.

I don't have an F11 commannd

http://supportline.microfocus.com/Documentation/books/sx40sp2/udpubb.htm
From: Derek Schrock on
On Feb 2, 1:37 am, "James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletet...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> respond; anything before V 5.1, we just want it to die !". My suggestion
> may sound outrageous but from my own career I KNOW that sort of thing
> can happen in the commercial world.
>
> They do have another forum - covering ALL their software and compilers,
> but I suspect you are supposed to be signed up for technical support
> ($$$$$$ !) to be able to ask questions. It's a bit clinical - your
> question is presented anonymously and a solution is given. The link I
> found that will take you to that one is :-
>
> http://www.support.microfocus.com/xmlloader.asp?type=home#
>
> It will probably prompt you to log-in but select 'Knowledge Base' from
> the Left Pane in the page. True there's not a great deal in here about
> Net Express; and as I use OO , about four topics.
>
> Your best bet to see what's available is the 'Answer Exchange'.

IRC as in Internet Relay Chat.