From: Derek Schrock on
Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
CALL by stepping over and not into.
From: James J. Gavan on
Derek Schrock wrote:
> Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
> Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
> Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
> CALL by stepping over and not into.

You don't indicate - but it looks like you must be CALLing something
other than M/F COBOL.

When first cutting my teeth on DBs with M/F (Net Express) and MS Access,
I had problems understanding what was sometimes going wrong; that led me
to having a separate OO class per Table within an MS Access xxxx.MDB.
Even with the Animator it stepped over any errors in SQL Statements and
I had to set Breakpoints on the nearest COBOL syntax immediately
following a particular END-EXEC, to establish what I had done wrong in
the SQL syntax.

The only qualifier - I don't work with Procedural or CALLs, so I've
never tested via the Animator Procedural-COBOL-A CALLing
Procedural-COBOL-B using .... returning ..... If the Animator can stand
on its head animating a whole series of OO classes, (WITHOUT
limitations), jumping backwards and forwards between my own classes and
the M/F support classes, it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't be able
to do that with Procedural applications.

Just a thought - any DIRECTIVES you can set, or options within the
ANIMATOR itself that you can use ? I'm referring to the Dialog "Animate
Settings" which comes from the drop-down menu 'Animate' in the IDE menu bar.

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: Pete Dashwood on
Derek Schrock wrote:
> Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
> Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
> Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
> CALL by stepping over and not into.

Make sure that what you are CALLing (if it is COBOL) has been compiled for
debugging.

Pete.

From: James J. Gavan on
Pete Dashwood wrote:
> Derek Schrock wrote:
>
>>Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
>>Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
>>Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
>>CALL by stepping over and not into.
>

> Make sure that what you are CALLing (if it is COBOL) has been compiled for
> debugging.

Jeez ! That WOULD be quite helpful, wouldn't it ? :-)
From: Derek Schrock on
On Feb 1, 7:51 pm, "James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletet...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
> > Derek Schrock wrote:
>
> >>Any idea how I can step INTO a CALL's code block using Microfocus
> >>Server Express 4.0 SP2 on HP-UX B11.11?
> >>Right now when I step on the CALL statement the animator executes the
> >>CALL by stepping over and not into.
>
> > Make sure that what you are CALLing (if it is COBOL) has been compiled for
> > debugging.
>
> Jeez ! That WOULD be quite helpful, wouldn't it ? :-)

To All,
Thanks for the prompt replies. IRC has been a drag for COBOL support
and Microfocus forums have maybe three users.
But yes it's COBOL calling COBOL; I'll check tomorrow on how to build
the calling program for debugging. I remember seeing this option int
the man page.
However, what type of file is a CALL executing? .int? .gnt? If I have
both in $PATH should I make sure to only have the .int to ensure the
debuggable one is executed.