From: James J. Gavan on
Derek Schrock wrote:
> To All,
> Thanks for the prompt replies. IRC has been a drag for COBOL support
> and Microfocus forums have maybe three users etc.....

Derek,

I've posted this to you direct as well, in case you don't come here
looking any more :-).

Having sent my previous message I reflected on "IRC" above - is that one
of those cryptic e-mail abbreviations or did you buy and get support
from something called IRC, or are you referring to Chat groups which I
found googling on 'IRC'.

Why I ask, is because Rene in the Philippines made reference to vendors
selling and supporting Micro Focus products. I found these 'vendors' by
googling. I don't remember the name, but part of the Pentagon, something
like ITNSC department, (Information Technology Navy Software Control),
or some such name. The lady in the Control Branch was putting out a
request for tenders to get info from Vendors selling Net Express, and
defining the tech support they would provide.

Yep Micro Focus forums - they have become real dicey since Net Express V
5.0, 5.1 - M/F are putting their money on .Net (let COBOL users ask the
..Net folks for support). If you aren't aware there are two M/F forums -

(1) originally called Answer Exchange, and as Alan Wheeler the
Administrator informed me, they can't currently use 'Answer Exchange'
because it is copyrighted to the departed Merant - abysmal, but Micro
Focus joined with one other to form Merant - but now M/F are back on
their own. I'm not sure what the forum is now called. (I've still got it
in my Bookmarks as 'Answer Exchange').

This is what I use to get in -

http://forum.microfocus.com/~Micro_Focus_Products/login

If successful and it prompts you for info, put in your Name and a
password. If that doesn't work, backtrack to the Micro Focus main page
to see if you can get at it as a new user.

It has sub-sets per topic and you are interested in Net Express. You can
also check out an archive of messages which you can view, but those you
can't respond to. A year or so back N/E used to have a busy time, say
some 6 threads created per day, with suggested or finite solutions
coming from other users and M/F employees; the M/F people are all over
the place, (or were !), U.S, east and west coasts, Quebec, UK (Newbury)
etc. Unfortunately like all commercial organizations and in the name of
'rationalization' (musical chairs) some real M/F stalwarts have
disappeared. It is quite some time since I've seen an M/F employee kick
in - who knows, they may have been informed 'from above' - "Don't
respond; anything before V 5.1, we just want it to die !". My suggestion
may sound outrageous but from my own career I KNOW that sort of thing
can happen in the commercial world.

They do have another forum - covering ALL their software and compilers,
but I suspect you are supposed to be signed up for technical support
($$$$$$ !) to be able to ask questions. It's a bit clinical - your
question is presented anonymously and a solution is given. The link I
found that will take you to that one is :-

http://www.support.microfocus.com/xmlloader.asp?type=home#

It will probably prompt you to log-in but select 'Knowledge Base' from
the Left Pane in the page. True there's not a great deal in here about
Net Express; and as I use OO , about four topics.

Your best bet to see what's available is the 'Answer Exchange'.

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: James J. Gavan on

From: James J. Gavan on