From: Hank on
Ken Blade you avoided answering the question which was "Do I need all
the earlier versions" not is it a problem to store them. I am also
interested in removing software that is unused earlier versions that
are not removed by the update. Si I am re-asking the question "are
they necessary?"

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:16:16 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:51:47 GMT, "J. O' Connor"
><spamkiller(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3.
>>
>> The updater installed a new Microsoft .NET Framework this morning.
>> Upon checking in 'Add or Remove Programs', I noticed:
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP at 184.00 MB
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP at 178.00 MB
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 at 28.49 MB.
>>
>> My question to the gurus: As the are very memory intensive,
>

>They are *not* "memory intensive." They are using disk space, which is
>not at all the same thing as memory (RAM).
>
>Moreover the three of them in total use just under 400MB of disk
>space. To put that into perspective, in these days of inexpensive disk
>space, when you can buy a 1TB drive for $70.00 US, that's a little
>under three cents worth of disk space--a *tiny* amount.
>

>> do I need all
>> three or can I delete two?
>

>It depends on what programs you run. If you run a program written with
>.net, you need to have installed the .net framework version that
>corresponds to the version it was written with. So you may well need
>all three.
>
>Even if you don't need them today, you may need them tomorrow, so I
>recommend that you keep them all, *especially* since they use such a
>tiny amount of disk space.

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
From: Stan McChrystal on
Are you blind? He answered it completely. Here it is again in case you still
haven't learned to read:

:
: On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:16:16 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
: <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
:
: >On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:51:47 GMT, "J. O' Connor"
: ><spamkiller(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
: >
: >> Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3.
: >>

From: John John - MVP on
We don't know if you need them or not, it depends on the software that
is installed on your computer. If you are unsure it's best to just
leave them alone.

Do I need still need older versions of the .NET Framework on my system
after installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/20/9557946.aspx

John

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:48:47 -0400, Hank <hgreintges(a)skybest.com>
wrote:

> Ken Blade you avoided answering the question which was "Do I need all
> the earlier versions" not is it a problem to store them.

I did not. Please reread my answer.

> I am also
> interested in removing software that is unused earlier versions that
> are not removed by the update. Si I am re-asking the question "are
> they necessary?"
>
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:16:16 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:51:47 GMT, "J. O' Connor"
> ><spamkiller(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3.
> >>
> >> The updater installed a new Microsoft .NET Framework this morning.
> >> Upon checking in 'Add or Remove Programs', I noticed:
> >> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP at 184.00 MB
> >> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP at 178.00 MB
> >> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 at 28.49 MB.
> >>
> >> My question to the gurus: As the are very memory intensive,
> >

> >They are *not* "memory intensive." They are using disk space, which is
> >not at all the same thing as memory (RAM).
> >
> >Moreover the three of them in total use just under 400MB of disk
> >space. To put that into perspective, in these days of inexpensive disk
> >space, when you can buy a 1TB drive for $70.00 US, that's a little
> >under three cents worth of disk space--a *tiny* amount.
> >

> >> do I need all
> >> three or can I delete two?
> >

> >It depends on what programs you run. If you run a program written with
> >.net, you need to have installed the .net framework version that
> >corresponds to the version it was written with. So you may well need
> >all three.
> >
> >Even if you don't need them today, you may need them tomorrow, so I
> >recommend that you keep them all, *especially* since they use such a
> >tiny amount of disk space.
>
> email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
> TIA
> Hank

Please Reply to the Newsgroup