From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Tom,

In fact I miss in the forums only the possibility to view in a quick way who
has responded. There is not a treeview like in a newsgroup. I assume they
did their best to make it the same, but have never looked to an Outlook
equivalent newsreader (I assume that you as forum participator understands
what I want to say). It makes that most forums threads become quick like
thrash.

In my idea would the contributors in this forums (Especially Armin which is
probably with you one of the long-time ones) should once try the English
Visual Basic Forum general.
Also to my surprise I recognised more than a year ago it is less bad as it
has been in past, and some features are really better than in the
newsgroups.

There are some contributors in the forums which are equal to the
contributors in this newsgroup, although it is in my idea not in a way like
this newsgroup was in past, when it was still easy to visit.

Cor

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 05.05.2010 05:11, schrieb Tom Shelton:
>> Thank you, and good night!
>>

> While the web interface isn't completely horrid - it's still not nntp. It
> will be sorely missed.

The announcement was one of those moments: What? Did I ask for that? I don't
need a change. Everything's fine. I can add attachments to every posting
if you want it. And I will switch to HTML and insert pictures if you think
nntp is bad. It's slim, fast and it fulfils all my needs. I don't want to
wait for slow servers producing http overhead and colored pictures. Let
me start yawning in advance right now...

>> Armin
>> PS: Which linux distribution can you recommend?
>
> Gentoo is my personal favorite. Though, I've started using Debian on one of
> my servers and I have an Android development vm setup using Ubuntu....

Thx! :-)

Well,,, I was pretty...pissed yesterday?! (OMG 8-o ) Put in more diplomatic
words: I'm not a militant MSFT basher but there are several developments
that makes me more and more not being one of these magic customers that
MSFT pretends to work for. I also didn't ask them to remove the MDI interface
in VS 2010. Suddenly gone. Oops, one customer lost. And BTW, I don't like
Win7.

But who am I? Just not one of the "community" anymore - as it seems.

OT, sorry sorry...

(Would this posting be deleted by a private-forum moderator?)

--
Armin
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 05.05.2010 04:55, schrieb Family Tree Mike:
>> What is the word "Verschlimmbesserung" in your language? Don't know how to translate.

> I think the translation is "Make worse". My last German class was
> "Zwanzig Jarhen" ago though...

Hi Mike,

yeah, "make worse while trying to make it better"
hey world out there: If it's fine, keep it. Don't make "improvements" like the
different approaches of online help, I mean F1-help. Every version got slower
and worse to handle - the current version is ridiculous. Sorry guys. Anyhow
your company is getting outta control. Believe me.

--
Armin
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 05.05.2010 13:06, schrieb Michel Posseth [MCP]:

> IMHO a really bad decission
>
> The times i used the web forums they did not work good for me , it was hard
> to track the followups , and it was even verry hard to find even the right
> groups back

"We are working very hard to make it suitable for all our customers needs."
(no, that's not a quote. or maybe a virtual one)

> i prefer my own newgroup reader so i can mark and follow what is
> interesting

Right! Wanted to write the same. Now we will be constrained to the
http output of a foreign server. Next step: we will have to download
a web installer downloading a "community reader" frontend. And you must
always be connected.

--
Armin
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

"Armin Zingler"

>> While the web interface isn't completely horrid - it's still not nntp.
>> It
>> will be sorely missed.
>
> The announcement was one of those moments: What? Did I ask for that? I
> don't
> need a change. Everything's fine. I can add attachments to every posting
> if you want it. And I will switch to HTML and insert pictures if you think
> nntp is bad. It's slim, fast and it fulfils all my needs. I don't want to
> wait for slow servers producing http overhead and colored pictures. Let
> me start yawning in advance right now...

Which images, it is much easier to attach images in this message than in a
forum.

But I never do (did) that so I don't miss it.

In past there was always someone who complained about speed, so I don't do
that.

> Well,,, I was pretty...pissed yesterday?! (OMG 8-o ) Put in more
> diplomatic
> words: I'm not a militant MSFT basher but there are several developments
> that makes me more and more not being one of these magic customers that
> MSFT pretends to work for. I also didn't ask them to remove the MDI
> interface
> in VS 2010. Suddenly gone. Oops, one customer lost. And BTW, I don't like
> Win7.

I just tried a MDI and it is still there, I've seen no changed until now
beside the ones you've showed.

> But who am I? Just not one of the "community" anymore - as it seems.
>

> (Would this posting be deleted by a private-forum moderator?)

No for sure not.

(I'm not a forum moderator probably like you I don't want to be that (Ken
Tucker is) but what I've seen in the weekend in the VB Express forum I've
never seen in a Microsoft Newsgroup, and it is not deleted, only replaced
and locked for more answers)

But you could expect what happens now, last years it was almost impossible
to reach these newsgroups (I'm not saying that was not by accident, but the
time before we saw actions took always extremely long).

It seem now already a while again solved.