From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Microsoft made it, it was the reason I started looking at the forums,

However, the Microsoft forums software is good enough currently to be in
some cases better than NNTP

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=927

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 5/8/2010 1:31 PM, Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-05-08, Armin Zingler<az.nospam(a)freenet.de> wrote:
>> Am 08.05.2010 16:49, schrieb Tom Shelton:
>>> Because VS2010 is written using WPF - WPF does not support mdi, therefore, no
>>> MDI in vs2010.
>>
>> This means that WPF is not an option for my applications, too. ;-)
>
> Well, if you feel the need to use MDI then I guess not. But, in case you
> haven't noticed - mdi has long fallen out of fashion. It's very rare to see
> new software with an MDI interface.

Which is why I know a lot of people are keeping their copies of Office
2003. Many consider Access 2007 is a beast to them with the "improved"
interface.

--
Mike
From: Robert Roland on
On Sat, 08 May 2010 10:30:41 -0700, Tom Shelton
<tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:

>It's actually just the opposite. USENET is very decentralized - way more so
>then any web forum. Posts are submitted to a server and then propogated to
>other nttp servers.

Sure, but only if you look at it from a technical point of view. If
you look at it from a user's point of view, you connect to one server
and get access to all groups, and each group will contain any post
made from any server.

>> How hard would it be to implement an NNTP interface in the web forum
>> server software? I can't imagine it would take a lot of effort.
>
>MS has an nntp bridge for their webforums.

Is there any information on how to use it? My newsreader can connect
to several servers, so it should simply be a matter of adding one or
more servers, I expect.

> But, from all reports it's very
>slow -

Slow is not a serious problem for NNTP. In the olden days, I read news
through a dial-up connection. It is, of course, convenient to be able
to download a message body instantly at the press of a button, but it
is not a requirement.

>and if your like me and use a text only news reader (slrn+vim), then
>the html nature of the posts will make it unusable - unless you use a news
>reader that supports html.

My newsreader does support HTML, but I keep the support turned off
most of the time. With HTML support off, the reader converts the HTML
to plaintext for me. I don't know enough about HTML to decide how
difficult that process is, but it is certainly possible.
--
RoRo
From: Robert Roland on
On Sat, 8 May 2010 19:34:17 +0200, "Cor Ligthert[MVP]"
<Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote:

>Microsoft made it, it was the reason I started looking at the forums,
>
>However, the Microsoft forums software is good enough currently to be in
>some cases better than NNTP
>
>https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=927

Thanks.

It seems they implemented this with a piece of client software that
needs to be installed on my PC. How utterly, spectacularly insane!

What they have to do, is to run software on the server that emulates
an NNTP server, so that any NNTP reader on any platform can connect.
--
RoRo
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 08.05.2010 19:31, schrieb Tom Shelton:
> On 2010-05-08, Armin Zingler <az.nospam(a)freenet.de> wrote:
>> Am 08.05.2010 16:49, schrieb Tom Shelton:
>>> Because VS2010 is written using WPF - WPF does not support mdi, therefore, no
>>> MDI in vs2010.
>>
>> This means that WPF is not an option for my applications, too. ;-)
>
> Well, if you feel the need to use MDI then I guess not. But, in case you
> haven't noticed - mdi has long fallen out of fashion. It's very rare to see
> new software with an MDI interface.

Yes, unfortunatelly.

I remember many people complaining about Office 2000 not being able to switch
to MDI or at least to get rid of all the taskbar buttons for each open document.

What's better with tabbed windows? Only that you can move a window to another
screen? From my own experience, a dual screen setup (or any even number of screens)
is a bad compromise. Hardly anyone has more of them. Anyway, if you maximize the
IDE - who doesn't do this? - you can move the MDI windows anywhere on both screens,
too. So I don't see any advantage of tabbed windows. Only a limitation.

--
Armin