From: Chris Dunaway on
On May 5, 6:25 am, Armin Zingler <az.nos...(a)freenet.de> wrote:
> Am 05.05.2010 13:06, schrieb Michel Posseth [MCP]:
>

> > IMHO a really bad decission
>
> > The times i used the web forums they did not work good for me , it was hard
> > to track the followups , and it was even verry hard to find even the right
> > groups back
>
> "We are working very hard to make it suitable for all our customers needs.."
> (no, that's not a quote. or maybe a virtual one)
>
> > i prefer my own newgroup reader so i can mark and follow  what is
> > interesting
>
> Right! Wanted to write the same. Now we will be constrained to the
> http output of a foreign server. Next step: we will have to download
> a web installer downloading a "community reader" frontend. And you must
> always be connected.
>
> --
> Armin

A more troubling aspect is that the web forums will be "moderated" and
any thing they don't like could be removed.

Chris
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 06.05.2010 19:22, schrieb Chris Dunaway:
> On May 5, 6:11 am, Armin Zingler <az.nos...(a)freenet.de> wrote:
>> MSFT pretends to work for. I also didn't ask them to remove the MDI interface
>> in VS 2010. Suddenly gone. Oops, one customer lost. And BTW, I don't like
>
> Could you explain what you see as advantages of the MDI interface?
> Like the others, I have not used it so its removal went unnoticed by
> me.

I feel handicapped if I can't move the windows around because they
are glued and maximized. One habbit working with MDI for so many years
is klicking the 'restore' button, but it's not there. It's a matter
of course for me, therefore it's missing.

If I undock the windows, I can move them as I want but they are covering
the docked windows, so that's also not an option.

I feel limited with the tabbed windows. Like some sheets of papers
that I'm forced to keep stacked on my desktop without being allowed
to distribute them freely.

> By the way, did you know that VS2010 has support for multiple
> monitors? Just drag any tab (window) out of VS to another monitor.

Only one 30" monitor fits on my desktop.

--
Armin
From: Laurie Comerford on
nntp(a)microsoft.com wrote:
> Date 5/4/2010
> Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.
>
> Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.
>
> We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.
>
> We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional languages in the next few days.

Hi,

The ONLY way you can MINIMISE DISRUPTION is to continue to support the
current newsgroup functionality.

Anything else is pure "marketing speak" and will severely disadvantage
your users.

Regards

Laurie Comerford
From: Chris Dunaway on
On May 6, 1:05 pm, Armin Zingler <az.nos...(a)freenet.de> wrote:
> Am 06.05.2010 19:22, schrieb Chris Dunaway:
>
> Only one 30" monitor fits on my desktop.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a bigger desk and another 30"
monitor!!! :)

Chris
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 07.05.2010 18:51, schrieb Chris Dunaway:
>> Only one 30" monitor fits on my desktop.
>>

> Sounds like a good excuse to get a bigger desk and another 30"
> monitor!!! :)

Sure, just for VS! ;-)

You don't share my MDI opinion? All you can do with the tabbed
interface can be done with MDI, but not the other way round. Even
if you don't make use of the MDI advantages, I don't understand
why they are taken away from me.

--
Armin