From: martin.smulian on

Windows XP Professional SP3. Windows Update runs perfectly, however
if I try to install Microsoft Update, the page starts loading then
generates an error and advises that it cannot load and gives the error
code as 0x800A01A8.

I am assuming that this is either a permissions,corrupt or
unregistered file issue - can anyone suggest what to try next

Many thanks

Martin
From: ruic on
This reregisters all of the windows update dll's:

net.exe stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
net.exe start wuauserv

you can copy this to a batch file to make it easier.

From: martin.smulian on
Thank you for the suggestion, I created a batch file and ran it as you
suggested - unfortunately I am still getting exactly the same error
message.

As I noted below WINDOWS Update works perfectly.

However I then choose the option on the Windows Update page to install
MICROSOFT Update, then it starts loading and then goes to the error
page.

I want to do to this to include the automatic updating of MS Office.