From: MowGreen on
> spybot

The above is the most likely cause of the error. Suggest you disable
Spybot's Immunize and both of the Resident protections, *one at a time*,
to see which one is the possible culprit.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: Carlos on
Hi!
I'm not an expert but i think that the problem is in the Windos update agent
7.4.7600.226. It was just after this update that the problem became. I use
SpyBot for on demand scan only. My real time protection is Windows defender
and EAV4.
Carlos

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Uh-huh...

From: MowGreen on
Download the latest release of the Windows Update Agent and *save* it:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

Once the download completes, Clean boot XP:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Use Method 2
Once the system is in a clean boot state, Stop the Automatic Update
service. Check to see if BITS [Background Intelligent Transfer Service]
is has been started. If it has, stop that, too.
Now install windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe and restart afterwards to the
clean boot state.

*** Can the system check for updates while still in the clean boot
state ? ***
If it can, undo the clean boot steps, boot to normal windows mode.

*** Can the system check for updates while in normal windows mode ? ***
If it can, then a *3rd party software* was preventing the proper
installation of the Windows Update Agent.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: nlavery on
I tried the following method posted on a similar thread by 'Gothika' on
10/16/09 to cure the Update problem, AND IT WORKED!! Even after many
frustrating and unsuccessful back and forth email exchanges with MS Support
on this problem. And none of the other solutions that I found worked either,
except for the method described below. Thank goodness for this forum!!

Rather than using the Start/Run box, I opened the cmd box, changed the
directory to C:\windows\system32, and then typed the various dll commands.

Thanks, Gothika!!!!!!

Toby
--
nlavery

The solution that worked for me follows..........

Hi,
With the help of MS support I had to re-register some dll's and that fixed
my issue. You may want to try this as well.
Click START|RUN and enter each dll to register. You'll get a message that
the registration succeeded. (created a .bat file, which made it easier to
register them)

Type --> REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL