From: mabu16 on
Hi.

Windows XP Pro SP3

When I go to "Microsoft Update"
(http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=de) via
IE8 I see "Activate Automatic Updates" as if the service is not running. But
it is running. On my laptop it shows "Automatic Updates activated".

When I use one of the search options on the site, I get errorcode
0x8002802B. Found nothing helpful via search engines.

Tried the Update reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us) -
normal at first and then the 2nd option. No change.

Run newest F-Secure virus-scanner via Boot-CD. Nothing found. But I will try
some malware-scanner now.

Other hints, what the problem is?

mabu16
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
0x8002802B = Element Not Found

Is this a sudden, new problem?

> Run newest F-Secure virus-scanner via Boot-CD...

What anti-virus application is *installed* on the WinXP SP3 machine and is
the subscription current?

Sounds like a hijackware infection to me.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: Mav on
I too am having the same problem. Also running WinXP PRO SP3.

0x8002802B error code trying to get express or custom update.

From: Carlos on
I have exactly the same problem. It hapens after the last update of the
"windows update agent". I've run windows defender, spybot, malwarebytes and
eset anti-virus 4 and enerything is ok, so i think that is microsoft problem.
Win XP SP3 home edition
Thanks

From: mabu16 on
Hi.

I think the mentioned update also was the last one that worked (I use the
update site not so often but Live Messenger mentioned an update via tool-tip).

I use Avira AntiVir 9 - the newest version. No other spyware or firewall
(just XP-FW).

I opened a call at Microsoft. 24 hours response time mentioned. Let´s see. I
will get the answer in here.

Martin