From: Peter Duniho on
Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> [...]
> But because many ISP has been closing down their news services, then
> some dedicated news services are showing up. [...]

My observation from the handful of ISPs I deal with is that they simply
contract out to Giganews or Supernews if they want to provide their
users with NNTP access.

There's very little real competition in that space, as far as I can
tell. If Giganews and Supernews decide to keep the newsgroups, then
that will probably be enough to keep them healthy (well, as healthy as
they can be with fewer and fewer people choosing NNTP as their protocol
of choice).

If those two don't decide to keep the newsgroups, I don't think the
way-smaller ones will be enough to keep them going.

Of course, only time will tell one way or the other. I guess we'll just
have to wait and see.

Pete
From: Tim Roberts on
Chris Dunaway <dunawayc(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Wouldn't you be starting from scratch then? All that message history
>that currently exists would be lost, wouldn't it?

Google has it.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Jeff Johnson on
"Tim Roberts" <timr(a)probo.com> wrote in message

>>Wouldn't you be starting from scratch then? All that message history
>>that currently exists would be lost, wouldn't it?
>
> Google has it.

Three or four years ago I would have agreed with you. Have you tried
searching the newsgroups via Google recently?

From: cate on
On May 5, 5:19 pm, "mick" <coughco...(a)privacy.com> wrote:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> Anyone know if it's *all* the microsoft groups. Be a great shame
> if they do.
>
> mick

REALLY to bad. uS has never learned how to create a simple
interface. Over production comes to mind. Looks really nice but they
refuse to let your eye do its work. They'll windup with something
like 15 C# catagories, each with a little drop down, 4 lines in the
answer scroll, and .... you get the picture. They are in the middle
of ruining Yahoo right now - javascript jump ups, rounded corners,
little people images... god! Please stay off my yahoo finance page!
(although who ever build that expandable stock chart should get a
raise)

There was a great article about craigs list in the wsj a few weeks
ago; a discussion of this very matter - simple business interfaces.

How many fonts will be on the new uS stuff?
How many colors?
How many topics per screen (2 ... but very pretty)

sorry...
From: Tim Roberts on
cate <catebekensail(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>How many fonts will be on the new uS stuff?
>How many colors?
>How many topics per screen (2 ... but very pretty)

You don't have to guess about this. The MSDN forums have existed for many
years. You can go browse them right now. They are as bad as you imply.