From: mick on
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Anyone know if it's *all* the microsoft groups. Be a great shame
if they do.

mick
From: Bert Hyman on
In news:4be1f7b7$0$274$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk Arne Vajh�j
<arne(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote:

> Could usenet continue to carry the groups without MS support?

Sure. It's not as if there's any real MS support now.

> Would it be impossible but possible if the names were changed
> to not contain "microsoft"?

Well, there are scores of orphaned newsgroups in the abandoned "ibm",
"netscape", "adobe", "intel" and other corporate hierarchies.

It would be impossible to stamp them out.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 05-05-2010 19:21, Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:4be1f7b7$0$274$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk Arne Vajh�j
> <arne(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> Could usenet continue to carry the groups without MS support?
>
> Sure. It's not as if there's any real MS support now.

Do we need to do anything to make that happen or will
the MS NNTP server (with the gateway) just drop out
and all the other NNTP server continue on their merry
wait without knowing anything about it?

Arne
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Arne Vajh�j" <arne(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote in message

>>> Could usenet continue to carry the groups without MS support?
>>
>> Sure. It's not as if there's any real MS support now.
>
> Do we need to do anything to make that happen or will
> the MS NNTP server (with the gateway) just drop out
> and all the other NNTP server continue on their merry
> wait without knowing anything about it?

Microsoft will switch off their news server eventually.

However, if another news server was set up with the same (or similar)
newsgroups, I'd support it wholeheartedly...

I have no interest whatsoever in blogs, Facebook, Twitter or web-based
forums...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 05-05-2010 20:13, Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
> "Arne Vajh�j" <arne(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Sure. It's not as if there's any real MS support now.
>>
>> Do we need to do anything to make that happen or will
>> the MS NNTP server (with the gateway) just drop out
>> and all the other NNTP server continue on their merry
>> wait without knowing anything about it?
>
> Microsoft will switch off their news server eventually.
>
> However, if another news server was set up with the same (or similar)
> newsgroups, I'd support it wholeheartedly...

What do you mean by "was set up with the same".

My understanding is that all NNTP servers are equal - there
are no masters. And lots of NNTP servers already carry
the ms groups today.

Arne