From: me on
"Vivian" <vsaegesser(a)infogix.com> wrote in message

> It's just batch. My concerns actually are in replacing the MicroFocus
> extensions, like the EXTFH. I'm not sure it's possible to do
> something like that in Fujitsu.

Try http://www.netcobol.com/download/manuals/NetCOBLanguageRef.pdf

& look at Chapter 10

From: Richard on
On Jan 30, 9:57 am, Vivian <vsaeges...(a)infogix.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2:06 pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 5:32 am, Vivian <vsaeges...(a)infogix.com> wrote:
>
> > > We're looking into the feasibility of migrating from MicroFocus to
> > > Fujitsu Cobol.  Has anyone done that?  Is it possible?  Difficult?
> > > Simple?  Know of any posts or documents to assist with research on
> > > this?
>
> > The major area that will be a problem is the user interface.
> > Microfocus ADIS gives many facilities that are hard to do in Fujitsu.
> > If your system is web-based or batch then there should be few issues.
> > If it is fully interactive console based with ADIS or Screen sections
> > then it may be impossible to get the same without a lot of reworking.
> > If it is GUI based with Windows API or SP/2 then it should be OK.
>
> It's just batch.  My concerns actually are in replacing the MicroFocus
> extensions, like the EXTFH.  I'm not sure it's possible to do
> something like that in Fujitsu.

Indexed and Relative data files are not compatible between Microfocus
and Fujitsu. They need to be converted.

EXTFH is not a language extension, it is an implementation issue. The
External File Handler allows both the replacement of the Microfocus
file handling system with some other written to use the same interface
and also other languages to access the Microfocus file types by being
able to call the EXTFH routines.

Fujitsu caters for the latter by providing a C callable set of
routines.

It depends on what you have done with EXTFH.

Another issue I found was printing. Simple writing of text lines is no
problem but in most cases (with the system that I use) Fujitsu will
output Postscript files. These are incompatible with outputting
control characters in the print lines, especially if PCL control is
required. While Fujitsu has some nice ideas about how printers should
be driven they can be a problem if you have completely different
ideas.

From: rtwolfe on
On Jan 29, 11:32 am, Vivian <vsaeges...(a)infogix.com> wrote:
> We're looking into the feasibility of migrating from MicroFocus to
> Fujitsu Cobol.  Has anyone done that?  Is it possible?  Difficult?
> Simple?  Know of any posts or documents to assist with research on
> this?
>
> Thanks

Vivian,

Flexus offers high-level user interface conversion tools which will
help you convert DISPLAY/ACCEPT-based COBOL programs, Screen Section-
based COBOL programs, Dialog System-based COBOL programs, Acucobol-GT
GUI-based COBOL programs and several other lesser-used user interface
methods to COBOL compiler-independent CALL USING statements for your
user interface. We also address non-user interface dialect issues as
well in our conversion tools.

Our tools can help you convert your existing COBOL compiler-specific
applications to COBOL compiler-independent COBOL applications.

We are presently completing another conversion filter which will
convert the COBOL user interface code to C# .NET user interface code
for use with COBOL compilers which support the .NET environment.

Contact us at info(a)flexus.com for more information or visit our web
site at www.flexus.com.